We’re looking for a product manager to help us manage our product development, from strategy, through to ideas & research, then to build and launch. You’ll work with the rest of the product team (including engineers) to bring the product to life.
This role covers long-term vision and strategy, project and team management, participating in research and planning activities, setting and measuring against goals and objectives, testing, and launch communications. You will define the why, when, and what of the product that we build.
Who are we?
Local businesses feel left behind by technology. And yet, 40-55% of total monthly household budgets are spent locally, and the average person visits 7 local businesses a month. Chalkboard makes simple tools that make local businesses convenient to work with, driving more customers through their door.
We are taking the same technology that is transforming enterprise, simplifying it, making it truly mobile-first, and putting it in the hands of deserving local business heroes.
Chalkboard has ambitions to become a global multi-billion pound business and a leader in our space. But right now, we’re a small team with solid seed-stage funding, a promising mission, and a plan.
A typical day
You might go from a meeting about high-level product planning straight to a chat with a developer about a granular issue, then into a research/learning call with a customer immediately after. It’s important to be able to switch between strategic to practical tasks easily.
Later in the day you may find yourself writing product specifications, briefs, or reviewing the latest product builds and providing feedback. After a meeting with a product designer and developer, you may compile some slides to summarise the plan for a new feature which you’ll present later in the week to other members of the team or customers.
Where you’ll work
We have a base in Beehive Lofts in Ancoats in Manchester, and you’ll work around 3 days a week from there. For the remainder of the week, you can choose to work from home.
You will occasionally need to travel to see customers, although you wouldn’t necessarily need a car to be able to do that. Full travel expenses will be paid.
There is a lift in the building with ground level access, and should you need to use this we can arrange a visit to check it is suitable.
- Great communicator and project manager
- Enjoys building relationships and teams
- Thrives under pressure, can multi-task whilst maintaining quality
- Puts the customer at the heart of all product decisions, on a constant quest to understand the customer’s wants and needs
- Can quickly put together effective collaborative documents such as briefs, proposals, and presentations
- Understanding of the general concepts and processes involved in software development
- Good understanding of the software landscape including latest trends, implementation patterns, methodologies, major players, etc.
Qualifications and experience
- 4+ years of prior experience in a product management role
- Has worked on a team building mobile apps
- Has worked on a team building B2B products
Salary & benefits
- Excellent salary
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays, and paid time off at Christmas
- Travel expenses
- Mobile phone allowance
- Coffee, tea & snacks provided
Our recruitment process
It’s very important to write a personal note to explain why you’re applying and talk about how you fit into the role we describe here. Talk about the kind of products we’re building and your opinions on how we should be doing it. But keep it succinct.
You’ll next hear from us about whether you’ve advanced to the next part of the application process, which is a short own-time challenge that never takes more than a few hours and is clearly defined. There are no brainteasers, whiteboard exercises, or pressured real-time tests.
From there, we’ll organise phone or in-person interviews with a focus on the challenge you’ve already taken.
We don't care about your gender, race, sexuality, age, or whether you have disabilities we need to accommodate. We're simply looking for someone that can deliver.