Head of Geovation
As a country and globally, we’re all experiencing challenging times right now, but Ordnance Survey (OS) continue to support the nation with our accurate geospatial data and services. As an organisation we are embarking on an ambitious growth strategy in location data, insight and services . Innovating our products, services and technology to benefit our customers, businesses and people across Great Britain and globally. In order to do this, we want to continue adding new skills and capabilities to our business and even in these tough times, we’re able to use technology to recruit talent to OS.
Geovation is a business unit of Ordnance Survey (OS), the national mapping agency for Great Britain and a world-leading geospatial data and technology organisation. OS data underpins billions of pounds of economic activity and plays a key role in delivering a range of technology advances – from autonomous vehicles and UAVs to digital building design and smart cities. Geovation provides skills, space and funding for location-data and PropTech startups looking to make positive change happen.
We’re based at a dedicated innovation centre in Clerkenwell, at the heart of London’s startup community. Geovation supports an extended community of more than 2,000 entrepreneurs, investors, developers, academics, students and corporate innovators. Our accelerator programmes provide startups grant funding, business mentorship and coaching, access to data, experienced product development capabilities, geospatial expertise from Ordnance Survey and land and property insight from HM Land Registry. To date we’ve helped more than 100 technology start-ups raise £77M in external funding, creating hundreds of new jobs. The next phase of our evolution will see us working to identify and nurture innovative organisations that can contribute to Ordnance Survey’s future customer propositions. Join us!
About the Role
This is a unique opportunity to lead Geovation as an integral part of the new Propositions and Innovation Team at OS.
We are looking for a hands-on leader who shares our passion for start-ups, problem solving, innovation and teamwork. As the senior leader at Geovation you’ll lead a cross-functional team that helps location-data and PropTech start-ups as they launch and grow, connecting them with the resources, people and partners that can contribute to their success. You’ll build and nurture our extended community of developers, entrepreneurs, academics and corporate partners and represent Geovation in the media.
You’ll be in charge of the Hub space in Clerkenwell and you’ll proactively engage with the extended Geovation community in person at events and on social media.
With a track record working with early-stage companies, you’ll have your finger on the pulse of the tech start-up and venture capital community. You’ll keep up to date with the latest challenges and opportunities in location-data services and innovation and will have developed an extensive professional network in this field.
In addition to supporting the external community at Geovation in London you’ll also have an important role to play in connecting Geovation’s experiences and insight with the Propositions & Innovation team at Ordnance Survey HQ.
You will be able to demonstrate evidence against these key criteria;
- A passion for developing an innovation community
- A business mindset with experience of working for, or with, early-stage companies
- Strong people and budgetary leadership and management skills
- A track record of turning opportunity into value
- Excellent and confident engagement and communication skills
- Experience of developing a culture of cooperation and collaboration, including the development of relationships with key external bodies to joint benefit
- Experience of leading the development and delivery of a strategic plan.
- Experience of identifying innovation approaches, methodologies and business processes
About the Rewards
We want you to love what you do. That’s why our benefits package rewards a job well done. We’ll give you:
- Salary – £66,300.00 - £78,000
- Performance related bonus
- Competitive pension
- 37 hour working week
- 25 days annual leave - (30 days after five years) bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- Training and development – We offer in-house training, a variety of masterclasses, bespoke training, study leave, access to learning resources and professional membership subscriptions
- A wide range of additional benefits including free parking, paid volunteer day, support with health and wellbeing, sports and social activities, staff discount on over 500 national stores and more
This role will be based at our Innovation Hub in London
Ordnance Survey is committed to making inclusion an everyday reality and promoting a diverse workforce. Each individual at OS brings their own perspectives, work experiences, lifestyles, and cultures with them, and we believe that a more diverse team builds more innovative products, provides a better service to our customers, and helps us all grow and learn as individuals.
Check out our careers video below and hear from OS employees about what life is like to work here!
In light of the recent communication from the World Health Organisation declaring COVID-19 as a pandemic, if you have been in known contact with anyone with the Coronavirus, are recovering from the virus or have relatable symptoms we ask you to notify the OS Resourcing team at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately prior to attendance of your interview to discuss alternate options during the recruitment process.