Office & Dragons is an early stage lawtech start-up that aims to make work pleasant, fulfilling, and productive by providing the fastest, simplest, and most effective way of working. We are harnessing the power of automation, data, and machine learning to solve deeply ingrained problems within the legal industry – tedious, repetitive, work and lack of data-driven insight stemming from unavailability or inaccessibility of structured data. By bringing paradigms of software engineering to legal, we will eliminate long-standing inefficiencies and pave the way for advanced analytics and computable legal smart contracts.
Our MVP has already had substantial success with major law firms using it on live transactions. Working as an Agile team, we are continuing to upgrade the MVP based on user feedback, adding more features for automation, collaboration, data capture, analytics, and AI-powered advice and improving UX.
We are looking for a passionate and driven Mid to Senior level Software Engineer to join our team of five as our second engineer. This is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a fast-growing lawtech start-up, which has already been recognized and accepted by multiple lawtech incubators. Come make a significant impact with your work, and grow your career alongside our quickly expanding business, all while facing intellectually stimulating challenges.
What you'll do
- Design and build a modern, scalable, distributed cloud-based application using cutting-edge technologies
- Write clean, performant, maintainable and well-tested software that has few regressions
- Address issues related to performance, scalability, and reliability
- Ensure quality data creation, presentation and data flow across systems
- Create and enforce standards and best practices for database design and development
- Experience in developing REST APIs
- Experience of applying development best practices and patterns in relation to security, scalability and performance
- Experience of design and development across multiple layers of an application
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases, query optimisation & designing schemas
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented paradigms and patterns.
- Strong experience developing multi-tenant systems
- Experience of debugging and troubleshooting live applications
- Experience with Unit testing
- Extensive experience with source control systems, ideally GIT
- Good understanding of frontend technologies such as Angular/Vue/React.
- Good understanding of web fundamentals, HTML and CSS
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Prior experience working at a tech company, preferably another start-up
- Reside in the UK
- Familiarity with Agile and Scrum working methodologies
- Good understanding of event-driven, pub-sub and message queue/broker designs
- Have proven experience of working with PHP (Laravel), Vue, C# (.NET Core)
- Familiarity with Postgres
- Experience with SaaS systems with a general understanding of Cloud Technologies on a software developer's perspective (AWS is preferred).
- Detailed understanding of multi-threading
- Have significant software engineering experience, design patterns and the foundations of application development
- Experience writing applications optimised for observability (tracing, metrics, structured logging)
If this sounds like the perfect role for you, then please complete BOTH of the following actions:
1) Submit your application through this job posting
2) Submit the following survey: https://forms.gle/MAGokJPCdsNV8dz9A
Direct applicants only please; we are currently not partnering with any recruitment agencies. Thank you.