Planes is a young digital product studio, started by two friends who liked making great products together. As we grow that will always be our essence - to work on products we believe in with people we enjoy every day.
Our background is in startups, not agencies. We prefer shipping code, listening to users and iterating quickly rather than long lunches, ‘expert’ reports and death by powerpoint. This approach has lead us to work with all sorts of people, from international fin-tech providers to startups, building products that their users love.
A small and nimble team, we work collaboratively to produce work that we are proud of and our clients love. We are made up of designers, engineers and product lovers who are all entrepreneurs by nature.
We are looking for a Junior/Mid Product Manager to join our team full time. You will be responsible for managing a number of products at once, both new projects and retainers for existing products. Working in a multi-disciplinary team you will be the voice of the user, while also keeping sprints running on time and budget.
As a product agency, your assigned projects or clients will change over time, giving you exposure to new businesses and challenges. However, initially in this role, you will be working alongside another Product Manager and several developers and designers to launch and enhance a web and mobile platform. Days will be varied and could involve any of the following:
- Running user interviews to uncover insights
- Testing prototypes with users to understand usability and solution fit
- Digging into data to inform decisions and query hypothesis
- Collaborating with a designer to convert ideas into a tangible product
- Writing user stories and managing development pipelines to ensure delivery stays on track
- Running product demos and sprint planning sessions with clients and the development team
- Researching and making recommendations for solutions to product problems, or to help with product goals
- Manual testing completed development work
- Wireframing and mapping out user journeys
For this role, you will have the right combination of experience and skills to manage multiple projects and priorities. You will need to be able to take the initiative and be organised as the rest of the team will rely on you to keep workflows moving in the right direction. Tonnes of experience is not required, but here is some idea of the kinds of experience that would suit:
- 1-2 years experience working in a product team (optimally agency based)
- Client facing; communicating directly with clients both written and in person
- UX research/design; an appreciation of how users interact with products, how to map and measure these journeys and the ability to improve them. You might have some experience with wireframing too.
- Project planning; aptitude at managing many moving parts and conflicting stakeholders requirements
- Specification writing; translating designs or requirements to user stories for developers to build
- Scrum/agile exposure; you will have exposure to the principles of agile development, and know how to adapt a development framework to suit various types of projects.
- Exposure to deliverying digital projects; this doesn't have to be apps it could be micro sites or campaigns for an agency too for example
Working at Planes
We are a relatively relaxed bunch, and believe that if we hire adults and treat them like them we won't need any baby sitters. As such we leave it to you to decide where and when you will do your best work. If you need to stay at home and nut out a tough problem so be it, if you have to come in late because you are dancing at Morning Glory -power too you! That being said, we all tend to spend most of our time in the studio because we have more fun working together, so this is not a fully remote role.
We are also a social bunch and since we work with people we like we tend to hang out after work too. We don't really plan anything but tend to find ourselves doing at least one activity together a month be it mountain biking, rock climbing or just going out for beers. We also get that you have your own life too, so won't be upset if you can't join us every Friday night.
Holidays are the spice of life, so on top of your 28 days a year, we also let you take up to a month of leave without pay if you like to do even more adventuring.
If this sounds like a piece of you, please send through a short (no longer than one paragraph) intro on you along with your CV. If we like what we see we will start with a phone call. Following that we will invite you in to have a chat over a (zoom)coffee.
In light of COVID
Much like the rest of the world, we have been a fully remote team the last several months. While we're all pining to get back into the office, we've been working effectively while remote.
We're hoping to get back into the office as soon as we are comfortable from a health and safety perspective, but there will be no requirement for anyone in the team to be back in the office until they also personally comfortable doing so.