Remote, Full time
Salary: £50,000- £70,000, options available
Dataswift is the technology infrastructure company powering Data Economy 2.0 – the ethical data economy. Using our products, individuals, enterprises, and developers give, take and use personal data responsibly. Individuals get full ownership and control of their data. Developers and organisations get the APIs and tools they need to build scalable, data-rich applications with privacy and compliance built-in.
This is an opportunity to join at the start of an exciting and challenging journey and play a key role in defining best-practices and approach to the economic analysis of the platform, the substitutability of data to money, and modelling the value of data.
We are looking for a Senior Economist to join the Dataswift team - aiming to deliver research and innovation that fundamentally moves the Internet into Data Economy 2.0, where every individual owns their own personal data account. The ideal candidate will have extensive graduate training in economics and econometrics, an interest for answering challenging, open-ended research questions with real-world impact. Expertise in one or more of the following fields is preferred: econometrics and economic modelling, especially in relation to the economics of platforms; and financial economics. As a Senior Economist, you will work to develop innovative research ideas and to conduct and publish in-depth economic research to answer pressing policy questions that are relevant to the data industry today. Current policy areas include market microstructure, the economics of the personal data exchange and the role of data exchanges in promoting autonomy and agency.
*Roles and Responsibilities: *
- You will need to think critically about research questions and policy, as well as work effectively with other professionals from a range of disciplines. While the research we do is not mainly focused on the academic community, it is expected that in many cases, it may lead to publications in academic journals.
- Working closely with the governance and regulatory team, you will also liaise with policy experts, industry participants and leading academics from the UK and overseas to inform Dataswift and HAT-LAB advocacy and policy positions.
- You will apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting and simulation. You will build econometric models, design innovative data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast-moving environment.
- You will be expected to develop new techniques to address quantitative issues and contribute to the design of automated systems around the company.
- You will conceive, plan, formulate, originate, initiate, execute, coordinate, develop, design, perform and document a broad range of economic analyses and research assignments involving current and projected pricing, production, supply, distribution patterns, and other conditions and problems pertaining to Metadata of personal data and bring such studies to meaningful conclusions.
- You would evaluate the impact of new technologies, systems, policies, and international market forces. Documents study purposes, methods, assumptions, and conclusions, and brief high-level officials. Acquires thorough parametric knowledge of subjects to perform sound, authoritative economic analyses.
- You will obtain, compile, organise, and analyse economic data. Select critical elements of real-world systems for inclusion in models and apply economic techniques in innovative ways.
- You would need to monitor and conduct special studies important to decision-makers. Analyse in innovative ways the effects of different policies and advise high-level managers of positive and negative effects of the different policies and policy options.
- You would need to generate ideas for new programs, policies, studies and approaches in assigned subject areas. Brief study sponsors and high-level officials on findings and conclusions of studies, and relationships of conclusions to existing and proposed policies and policy options. Apply extensive knowledge of issues, problems, and subjects studies to assure results reflect real-world environments.
- You may serve as a project leader, assuming responsibility for the development of project planning, coordination of overall team efforts, and maintaining appropriate lines of communication. Initiate, formulate, plan, and execute analytic research projects and researches the quality of methodologies and measures pertaining to the assessment of the subject matter being studied. Projects include specification of research questions, selection of databases or other software appropriate to the problem, development of a plan of analysis incorporating advanced statistics, execution of the analysis, and interpretation and dissemination of the findings.
You will definitely need:
- PhD in Economics, Finance or other relevant disciplines.
Specialisation in a topic related to one of the following areas:
- Econometrics and mathematical methods(e.g. econometric modelling, financial econometrics, time series analysis, panel data, cross-sectional models, classification methods).
- Financial economics (e.g. international financial markets, information and market efficiency, financial risk and risk management).
- Industrial organisation (e.g. market structure and structural changes).
Economic development, innovation and technological change in data markets.
Experience of working with financial datasets, ideally in policy-related issues.
A deep interest in policy issues of relevance to data exchanges and market infrastructures in general.
Excellent written and verbal communication, including the ability to explain economic concepts and quantitative results, as well as their implications, to non-specialists.
In your first 6 months, you will work on:
- Creating analysis and frameworks for data exchange on our platform and inform cost and price models
You’ll benefit from:
Dataswift Culture & Values
We believe in the diversity of our team, and we don’t judge based on gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, history, culture, geography, nationality or your secret aversion to coriander. If you feel you don’t match every single specification, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options further.”