We’re looking for a second Site Reliability Engineer to work in collaboration with our existing SRE and our engineers to expand, improve and secure the platform and scale it to serve our growing global community of learners.
How the Technology Team works
At FutureLearn we work in multidisciplinary product teams, collaborating with designers, engineers, product managers and stakeholders. We work in short sprints & regularly share, reflect on and iterate on our work. This helps us focus on shipping small, iterative changes and responding quickly to changing business or user needs. We care about work/life balance and supporting learning at work.
Our technology stack
Our platform is built on Ruby on Rails and React, and we use unit, integration and acceptance tests to drive design and keep everything working. We use continuous deployment to deploy multiple times per day to a large-scale system on AWS, supported by our Site Reliability Engineer. We’re nearly completing a migration from bare EC2 instances to running everything in ECS.
How the Site Reliability Engineers work
The Site Reliability Engineers are responsible for improving the stability, security and flexibility of our web application. Together with several Software Engineers, they work in the Scalable Platform team to ensure that the FutureLearn platform is secure, robust, and scalable.
In addition to the work within their team, they will work closely with the Director of Technology and Technical Architects to provide clear direction for improving and maintaining our current infrastructure.
As a Site Reliability Engineer at FutureLearn, you will:
- Help set technical direction for our infrastructure as we grow the platform.
- Work with all of our engineers to improve the stability, security and flexibility of our web application.
- Improve the process of developing, testing and continuously deploying the FutureLearn application to make it safer, easier, faster and more fun for engineers to work on.
- Be responsible for the future of our platform’s architecture and infrastructure, weighing the costs, benefits and risks of changes.
- Support software engineers by pairing, teaching, mentoring, coaching, code review and demonstrating the practices of an effective developer.
- Communicate the reasons and consequences of infrastructural decisions effectively to other engineers.
- Maintain communication with Software Engineers and Technical Architects about current technical progress and problems.
We’re looking for a Site Reliability Engineer who has been responsible for architecting and supporting cloud-native web application infrastructure.
You should have previous experience of the following:
- Using automated config management systems to manage and version cloud instances
- Supporting database administration, security and performance, taking into account scalability and maintainability.
- Maintaining secure systems which respect user privacy and comply with data protection legislation
- Be comfortable working with developers to solve problems, delegate operations work and offer guidance on infrastructure-related decisions
- An understanding of Linux and networking
- An interest in automating internal tools for developers
- Supporting our information security manager in organising regular infrastructure maintenance & testing (pen tests, PCI compliance scans, disaster recovery, business continuity planning, etc)
Experience of any of the following is a bonus:
- Software engineering for internal tools
- An interest in improving the deployment of our Rails application in light of modern tools and techniques
- Working with containers and schedulers (we use Amazon ECS)
- Managing relationships with suppliers (e.g. AWS)
Above all, we are looking for people who are curious, think critically, are eager to learn and keen to use their experience to help and support others. You will need to be able to communicate and explain things clearly and work well in a collaborative environment.
- Salary: £50k-£75k dependent on experience
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme, and showers & secure bike parking in the office
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast in the office
- Personal training budget
FutureLearn is a leading social learning platform with over 10 million users globally. FutureLearn uses design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses, microcredentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, with a strong social learning USP. It partners with over a quarter of the world’s top universities, as well as organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England. It’s also involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
FutureLearners live and breathe the company values and have a strong connection with our purpose, to transform access to education. We offer lots of flexibility, competitive benefits and a cool work environment. At FutureLearn, we look after each other.
Please use our online form by pressing 'Apply for this job' below, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to come work with us.
Please contact email@example.com if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We can't wait to meet you!
We value all the great benefits that diversity brings and encourage everyone to bring their whole self at work, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or disability.
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.