Dorm is an audio learning app that aims to replace university for millennials. We've just completed a large funding round with top UK and US based VCs and are now looking to bring a top notch backend developer on board to strengthen our founding team.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial engineer who is an infinite learner, and is raring for the challenge of creating a seriously large company. You would be working on technical tasks to improve our backend application architecture for performance, scalability and robustness while making use of the latest technologies, reducing complexity and making development easier.
What you'll be doing
- Joining a team of 6 driven professionals and building the business from the ground up
- Сrafting beautiful and performant consumer facing experiences
- Helping develop the product roadmap - and owning it’s delivery
- Building, maintaining and debugging server-side applications
- Developing processes for automation, testing and deployment
What we're looking for
- Deep experience using one or more of any leading frameworks
- Experience of working in environments that use at least one of Python or Ruby at scale
- Solid knowledge of relational database (PostgreSQL at least) and NoSQL databases (Redis/MongoDB/similar)
- Understanding the design principles of client-server interfaces (REST)
- Knowledge and experience of CI/CD settings
- Knowledge of data structures
- Good understanding of version control system Git
- Interested or thrive in a start-up environment and are looking to grow personally and wear new hats as we scale.
- Autonomous and pragmatic: knows when to refactor and when to accrue debt
Will be an advantage
- Experience with WebSockets
- Experience with monitoring tools
- Experience with any cloud computing platform
A massive advantage would be if you could share examples of some of your solutions to complex problems.
We believe in using the right tool for the job, rather than adhering to any given platform. Our production systems currently use Ruby on Rails and Swift. We use Heroku and AWS as backing services but with your insights any of that may change if there’s a good enough business reason.
What's in it for you
- Competitive salary
- The full startup experience, with all the highs and all the lows that you’ve heard about
- Joining an experienced founding team that’s scaled to 40M+ user base before
- Competitive pay and equity
- An accelerated learning experience
- A beautiful work environment, with clear views over the London Eye and river thames