Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. We are using technology and data science to build the world’s leading and most loved flower company. We’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, are growing at 100% year on year and are in a strong position financially (and have been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the Covid-19 crisis).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020.
Retention Technology at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 100 people. You’ll lead Retention and Apps Technology, one of our cross functional product areas consisting of squads who work on our award winning native iOS and Android apps, website and our back-end platform. The squads work closely with our core Customer Retention team and our Data Science team to ensure that we are using technology to build a business that customers love and use regularly. We currently have close to 2.5m customers and driving profitable retention at scale is the business’s most important objective. Leading the technology that drives this is a high impact role.
The squads focus on:
- Critical technology that helps build loyalty of customers and maximise their lifetime value. This includes key CRM and segmented marketing technology, personalisation and account, across key customer touchpoints on our website, app and in our backend platform
- Driving download, engagement and usage of our suite of native mobile apps across both iOS and Android. Our iOS app has been featured as a Top 25 apps of the year app by Apple and as App of the Day, and is central to our loyalty and retention strategy
- Increasing our usage of personalisation across all platforms by working closely with our Data Science team to integrate machine learning models including a new recommendations engine
You can read more about our technology and culture over on our tech blog - Code & Wild.
The role and ways of working
- You will report to Steve, our VP Engineering, who is extremely passionate about people development and scaling teams, and will lead our Retention Technology squad
- You’ll take the lead on scaling the squads, including periodically building smaller squads focused on delivering individual strategic projects, and all associated hiring and people management
- You’ll work closely with other Engineering Managers, VP Engineering and community of practice leads to shape the technology roadmap and strategy going forwards, ensuring that we are improving the whole team and optimising the approach for more than just your squad
- We work with some great technology and our stack consists of iOS and Android apps, an Angular 7 website and a backend platform in Ruby on Rails. You’ll play a key part, together with Tech Leads and our Principal Developer in ensuring that the squad is picking the right technologies as we continue to scale
- The role will suit someone who is looking for a career opportunity in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for every opportunity to learn and craft the role around our values; care, pride, customer first, innovation and delight.
- As an experienced people manager (4 years+) with a track record of building diverse, happy, high performing technology teams
- You’ll be able to demonstrate how you’ve taken responsibility for performance management, career progression and pastoral care
- You’ll be a great coach and servant leader, able to motivate and guide the squad through the good times and the bad, learning and improving as you go.
- You take a collaborative, data-driven and experimental approach to solving complex problems, and the ability to foster this mindset in your teams
- You’ve created environments that promote both autonomy and accountability
- You have previous experience of scrum mastering/ project management. (You’ll ensure that there is a focus on scrum mastery within your squad, either by playing the role yourself or empowering a squad member to assist you)
- You have a varied background in software development across both apps and backend platforms, which allows you to support those within your team to break down complex requirements
Nice to have
- A background that also includes frontend web development
- Experience working in e-commerce
We really care about creating a diverse team. So we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our office, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Regular virtual yoga classes with more virtual exercise variety to come!
- Celebrating birthdays with letterbox cake
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolleys’ and updates from our senior team
- Remote lunch and learns
- Supporting our wellbeing through online support sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of communicating including wellbeing channels
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
When we’re in the office
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
We apply our five key values (delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride) in our day to day activities and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Before you start you’ll be able to choose whatever laptop you need, a widescreen monitor to plug into and whatever other tools you need.
See more on what it's like to work at Bloom & Wild here.
Our recruitment process
The interview process consists of a thirty minute phone call with Steve, our VP Engineering. Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 then this will be followed by a series of remote interviews. During this time you’d get the chance to meet with some of the squad, talk with our VP Engineering Steve and one of our Product Managers and find out what it’s like to work for Europe’s fastest growing online flower company