Poplar is on a mission to democratise the creation of augmented reality content. Through our community of 1700+ AR creators, our platform has enabled the production of amazing augmented reality experiences for major brands including Universal Music, Sony Music, Fox, Disney, L’Oréal, King, and Speedo amongst many others.
Poplar just raised $2.6m ($3.5m to date) and was recently named one of the top 100 fast-growth new UK businesses launched in the last five years (The Startups 100 2020).
We’re looking for a Business Development Lead to join our growing team and help acquire client projects, as well as contribute to the development of our platform. You will be given many resources and training on the technology, the services we offer and the platform, to ensure you can confidently speak the language of the people with whom you’ll be interacting.
The ideal candidate will be excited by cutting edge technology, particularly AR, ready to learn, and looking to grow their sales/partnerships career in a fun, fast-paced, and ambitious startup environment.
This is a great opportunity to join a small but ambitious team in a fast-moving industry with an experienced founding team, strong backing (Fuel Ventures, Founders Factory, Haatch Ventures, Ascension Ventures, Super Ventures) and an array of exciting clients.
Location: London, UK
Role Type: Permanent
Direct Reports: Sales Development Representative (SDR)
Other regular relationships: Business Development team, AR Technologist, Creative Lead, Product team, 3rd party Developers and Creators
Salary: £50,000 base + sales commission OTE
- Cultivating key AR client relationships that drive revenue and strengthen the brand
- Develop and execute local outreach strategy for signing up new AR clients and market expansion
- Maintain pulse of key markets to continually identify new potential clients to collaborate with
- Execute against targets identified by the leadership team to ensure timely commercial launch
- Directly manage a SDR and set out their tasks and goals for outbound
- Utilise a CRM software to record activity, follow up on and advance previous conversations (we currently use Hubspot)
- Manage necessary legal and compliance requirements and processes for client sign-up
- Work closely with CEO and the product team on product improvements based on received client feedback
- Develop a broad understanding of the AR marketplace and industry while keeping abreast of new trends and developments
Successful Candidates Will Be
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial and “can-do” attitude, with lots of initiative
- Good organisation and ability to multi-task
- Well-organised and diligent in following through
- Possessing a high level of commercial acumen and be eager to deliver on all levels for clients and Poplar
- Demonstrated strong interest in Augmented Reality (prior experience working in AR is a plus)
- Interested in working in a startup environment
- Tech-savvy with proficient in G-Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Minimum 5 years experience, including business development and/or partnerships related to tech products
- Ideally have 1-2 years of B2B or B2C sales experience (non-retail)
- Comfortable learning about an emerging technology
- Strong negotiation and presentation skills
- Expert in building and maintaining strategic relationships
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Permission to work in the UK is required
What We Offer
- Flexible working hours: we care about getting the job done more than the exact hours you’re at your desk.
- Flexible working conditions: you will be working from home until the end of the year 2020, then you will be offered to work with the team at a central London location while being able to work from home 1-3 days.
- Equity - we believe employees should share in the success of the business.
- Fun and supportive culture - we firmly believe in fostering a positive work environment, which means having fun as a team while challenging ourselves.
- Support for community projects - we believe volunteering and community activities shouldn’t come out of your 25 days’ holiday allowance. For example, our CEO is a Trustee of Save the Children UK and our CTO runs a music project that raises funds for charities
- Inspiring surroundings - our previous office was filled with green life, but we also take the time to run offsites elsewhere in London and abroad.
- Opportunity to learn rapidly - you’ll be working with experienced media tech pioneers in a fast-paced company and industry.
- Casual dress and dog-friendly environment - just ask our office dog, Indiya.
- We are futurists. Simply put, we believe that AR will transform the world.
- We are learners. Learning is at the core of everything we do, and we are passionate about educating people about AR.
- We are nimble. We empower people by making AR creation simple, quick and affordable.
- We are playful. We have a lot of fun trying the latest immersive technologies and we want to share that fun with everyone.
- We are diverse. Diversity is not only core to our team, but also a core strength of our entire ecosystem: developers, partners, and platforms.
We are committed to building a diverse culture and are eager to receive applications from all backgrounds. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.