Food Chemist / Food Scientist Role
We are building the future of food, starting with dairy. Our products are molecularly identical to existing dairy but don’t require any animals to produce. Using synthetic biology and fermentation we follow a process similar to beer brewing instead. This is the future!
There is about to be a revolution in food (think of companies like Beyond Meat, Impossible Foods and Memphis Meats) and we are at the forefront of this. It is clear that many existing food production practices are unsustainable and consumers are already beginning to shift their buying habits accordingly. While products like oat milk have been hugely successful, more derivative products like cheese are harder to replicate with plant based ingredients. We solve this.
Our team is passionate about our mission and the huge multi-faceted opportunity that is presented. Our success is not only good for consumers but also for animals and for the planet. You will find yourself in a dynamic working environment that will be expanding rapidly.
You will be working closely with our CTO, management team and advisors to design and execute food science experiments that will allow us to better our understanding of dairy science, protein science and food science. You will be the first hire in this function of the company, and as the company grows, there will be opportunities to take on additional responsibility.
- Test and analyse the functional properties of various food ingredients
- Benchmark and develop product applications for various food ingredients
- Devise formulations and recipe iterations for our first products
- Establish our food regulation roadmap and timeline
- Work alongside the management team to set the strategic direction of the food science function
- Engage with our advisors and other industry experts on food science topics
- Represent the company at industry events
- Master’s or PhD in food science, food chemistry or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- An understanding of food ingredients, food analytical tools, food microbiology, product formulation of dairy and other food products
- Experience with characterising the functional properties of proteins
- Experience working effectively independently and in a team setting
- Experience with protein biochemistry and biophysical technique
- Experience extracting and refining proteins and fats
- Experience within a food manufacturing company
- Experience within dairy science
- Experience within a startup environment
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants must be able to demonstrate proof of the right to work in the United Kingdom.