We’re looking for a brilliant researcher and report writer
At Forward, we’re searching for a researcher and report writer to join us for 3 months and help us execute on a multi-channel hero campaign that will accelerate us on our path to build a category-defining VC firm.
We’re looking for a strong long-form writer with deep knowledge of venture capital - someone who can write clear, interesting, and authoritative prose on the nuances of venture capital and where the industry is heading.
Who is Forward?
Forward is an early-stage venture fund meets startup studio. We invest from day zero through Series A, in promising tech companies, focusing primarily on applied ai, marketplaces and e-commerce.
Out of our £81m early-stage funds, we’ve invested in 55+ companies including UK leaders Patch, Appear Here, and Koru Kids.
We operate on the belief that founders need and deserve more than money from investors. They deserve it because the founders' journey is a heroic one - you embark on an all-encompassing 10+ year voyage, that pushes you to the edge of your capabilities. And they need it, because execution is the difference between startup success and failure, and whilst a cash injection gets you going, the real work begins after you raise funding.
So we challenge the traditional venture model, and have a purpose-built startup studio of in-house engineers, designers, marketers, and recruiters that actively help our companies to design, build and grow. We also became the first VC to launch a revenue-based finance product - Forward Advances - that offers growth capital to startups without diluting their equity.
This is what you’ll be responsible for:
You will be leading and responsible for planning, gathering data, and writing a pioneering industry report. You’ll be supported and work tightly with our Brand and Content Manager (who will be leading on other aspects of the campaign) and our investment team (who will provide feedback and input on an ongoing basis).
- Developing report methodology, defining the research method, and the framework of the report
- Gathering all qualitative and quantitative data, defining and building the methods of data capture (i.e. surveys, interviews, desk research), and parsing the data
- Conducting video and audio interviews with contributing investors, founders, and writers.
- Writing up all sections of the report, to pre-agreed deadlines
And these are the skills you’ll need to excel:
- You have deep knowledge of the startup funding space
- From accelerators, incubators and angel networks, to venture builders, you live, eat and breathe the startup/venture ecosystem, and ideally have a strong knowledge of how it has evolved, and will continue to evolve over time.
- You’re an excellent storyteller and wordsmith.
- You understand the importance of narrative, and how words, when used in a certain way, have the power to inform, educate and inspire. Long-form reports is a challenging format, as the content needs to be rich information whilst still remaining digestible and easily parsible.
- You love deep research and finding connections in data
- You’ve either worked in or around startups before, and are familiar with the world of startups, venture capital, product development and everything in between. We’ll need to speak with authenticity and authority about a range of topics in the tech/VC ecosystem.
- You’re proudly the most organised person you know.
Writing a long-form report requires many iterations, and pulls together a large variety of different sources and data. You’ll be required to stay on top of all research, and work through the writing of the report in a methodological way.
Having said this, we welcome those with non-traditional backgrounds, or varied skill sets, so if you don’t fit 100% of the below brief, but strongly believe that you could take our content and comms to the next level, please still apply. We’d love to hear from you.
This is a fixed-term contract of 3 months, starting from September 1st.
We will being reviewing applications from w/c 10th August.