About this role
We’re looking for a software developer to work on our native mobile apps (Swift and Kotlin). You’ll work alongside other developers who will work on our GraphQL API, backend, and our web apps.
We will consider hiring at either junior, mid or senior level (we're building a team).
Who are we?
Local businesses feel left behind by technology. And yet, 40-55% of total monthly household budgets are spent locally, and the average person visits 7 local businesses a month. Chalkboard makes simple tools that make local businesses convenient to work with, driving more customers through their door.
We are taking the same technology that is transforming enterprise, simplifying it, making it truly mobile-first, and putting it in the hands of deserving local business heroes.
Chalkboard has ambitions to become a global multi-billion pound business and a leader in our space. But right now, we’re a small team with solid seed-stage funding, a promising mission, and a plan.
A typical day
The mornings will usually have a standup meeting. The aim is to update everyone, co-ordinate the day, and organise any collaboration.
After that, you may get stuck into some coding, or developing ideas. At various points you will ask for advice (or give advice). If other team members are free, you might go to a whiteboard together, and work on some problems together.
When working on a major feature/project, you’d be given a brief by the product manager. You would then have to create a design document along with a product designer. That might be a 2-3 page doc describing the problem and proposed solution.
Usually, you would say how you’re approaching the issue and discuss alternatives you have considered and why you rejected them. You would pitch it to the product manager and the rest of the team.
On other days, the focus may be on pure coding, i.e. improving fix, fixing problems, or working on deploying a feature.
Where you’ll work
We have a base in Beehive Lofts in Ancoats in Manchester, and you’ll work around 3 days a week from there. For the remainder of the week, you can choose to work from home.
You will occasionally need to travel to see customers, although you wouldn’t necessarily need a car to be able to do that. Full travel expenses will be paid.
There is a lift in the building with ground level access, and should you need to use this we can arrange a visit to check it is suitable.
- Great written communicator
- Able to work with others in the team to develop ideas and designs, approachable and easy going
- Can work quickly but maintain quality
- Puts the customer at the heart of all product decisions, on a constant quest to understand the customer’s wants and needs
- Able to put together collaborative documents to communicate the possible approaches and recommended implementation for new features
- Attention to detail, we create quality products
Qualifications and experience
- 3+ years of experience as a mobile app developer
- Desirable: GraphQL experience
- Desirable: Node.js experience
- Desirable: PostgreSQL experience
- Desirable: React experience (or similar framework)
Salary & benefits
- Excellent salary (depends on level hired at - junior, mid or senior)
- Travel expenses
- Mobile phone allowance
- Coffee, tea & snacks provided
We don't care about your gender, race, sexuality, age, or whether you have disabilities we need to accommodate. We're simply looking for someone that can deliver.