VP of Engineering - Leading Edge Retail Tech!
MishiPay - London, United Kingdom
Competitive salary plus bonus and stock options
We bring the best of the online shopping experience into physical stores with our Scan, Pay and Go journey. This gives the best of both worlds to shop and shopper.
Our technology allows in-store shoppers to use their phone to scan the barcode of any item in the store, receive enriched product information, pay directly in the app and simply walk out once payment is complete. For RFID enabled retailers, the act of paying automatically deactivates the security on each purchased item. For non-RFID enabled retailers, we use our Staff Dashboard powered by our risk engine for verification, which ensures security against theft.
We work with some of the world’s largest retailers including names like Decathlon.
About this role:
The VP of Engineering will be responsible for delivering cutting edge cloud-based applications spanning web, mobile, and desktop platforms and will be the most senior technical hire in the UK head office, reporting into our CoFounder and CTO.
You will lead, mentor and build our growing technical team, solve complex engineering problems and inspire the team, customers and partners. An ideal candidate must be a strong engineer, competent in all stages of software development. S(he) is opinionated but also flexible, someone who leads by example and by earning trust.
This role will suit someone who has worked on mobile platforms within a fast-paced startup or scaleup within Fintech, Retail Tech or E-Commerce. This person should ideally have been an ex founding member of a startup and/or a Software Architect, VP of Engineering or CTO previously. S(he) will be adept at delivering technical strategic objectives, underpinned with a hands-on approach with small, talented, and agile teams.
You'll have a hands-on approach - we'd like to find someone who's still fairly close to coding. (Our back end tech stack is Python / Django but you wouldn't necessarily need these - strong historical back-end development is a must though).
You will drive our key projects and will work as a partner with our CTO, and other leaders in Operations, Product and Data Security, on everything from strategy, roadmap, research, architecture, implementation, and code reviews, to technical documentation, and post-completion support if needed.
As the most senior engineer in the London office, you need to be ready to provide technical guidance and presentations in all situations relating to not just the tech team but also commercial teams, customers, investors and partners as needed.
To be MishiPay material, on top of the skills and experience, you should be highly motivated, passionate about building the future of high-street shopping and like working in a fun, exciting and productive work environment.
- Drive rigorous product development and delivery of software across MishiPay’s mobile and supporting backend applications stack.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Product and Delivery teams in Tech to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new and existing software.
- Maintain oversight and final approval for all updates before formal launch.
- Establish World-class standards and ensure appropriate development practices across the organization leading to consistent, high-quality deliveries.
- Make hands-on Software development contributions to the different areas of the Technology stack as needed.
- Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability and extensibility.
- Work with Executive Management including the CEO and CTO to align the Technology Goals with the Business objectives and long-term vision.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in a Senior Engineering Management position, building and managing high-performance teams and scalable best-practices in a Startup.
- Experience leading a team of software engineers with responsibility for hiring, goals, and performance.
- Hands-on experience ofWeb Server Architecture, Cloud Infrastructure, and delivering Mobile Applications. The latter is essential.
- Proven ability to use metrics as a key driver in decision-making processes.
- Self-motivated, driven, and results-oriented with an obsession to keep learning.
- Experience in presenting technical concepts in a commercial situation.
You’ll work with an inspirational multi-cultural team, based in our central London HQ and Bangalore offices, who are redefining the retail industry globally. We offer a tight-knit, collaborative and exciting work environment, coupled with the opportunity to see the apps we develop live in action within some of the world’s largest retailers, impacting the lives of millions of shoppers. If that excites you, we’d love to hear from you!
You may also work as Software Engineering Manager, Software Development Manager, CTO, Head of Engineering, or similar