Financial Analyst (London) - Building for the next 500M young learners
Why you should join us:
Our mission is to provide the world's best teaching experience to pre-school children all around the world through technology. We teach more effectively than a live teacher, for a fraction of the price, making education scalable, effective, and accessible through asynchronous learning and communication. We've started with spoken English, and have already built the most effective, affordable and fun way to do so - all through a connected mobile or tablet.
Our people are a smart bunch, brought together by our mission, and work extremely hard to deliver on what is required. We can clearly see how our role plays a key part in the company's success and are super hungry to grow in our careers. We aim to consistently achieve great results, but if we don't, that's ok - we learn from our mistakes and progress forward. We're humble in our approach and are team players. Collectively, we speak over eight languages in the team and are spread across four hubs - London, Cardiff, Singapore and Shenzhen.
Our customers love what we do and advocate our mission. We really care about their child's development, providing them with the critical skills that they need to succeed in life. Parents praise us and children love us - with some families using us for over three years. Together, we're only at the beginning of what we can achieve.
Our technology allows us to create innovative ways to teach the Lingumi children in new ways - we're working on groundbreaking technology that will revolutionise how they learn. Children can connect to their friends and other children from around the world, to learn together, and take us one step closer to connecting this world and making it a better place.
Our investors and advisors range from Europe's best VC's, including North Summit Capital, Local Globe and ADV, to advisors such as Michael O'Sullivan, former CEO of Cambridge Assessment, and Dr Min Wanli, former Chief Data Scientist of Alibaba.
How we get there:
- We’re on an exciting trajectory - over the last year, we've gained incredible traction through the first course on our platform, and are rapidly scaling our customer base, particularly across mainland China, and Taiwan. However, our target is to teach 100 million children critical skills by 2025, so we're only just beginning!
What we’re looking for:
- We're now looking for a Financial Analyst to help accelerate and support the growth of our business. You'll work with functional leaders to empower the business to grow profitably through the accuracy of insight and visibility of data that you'll bring to the team.
- You're someone who has an analytical and financial mind, with the ability to collect, analyse, and breakdown significant amounts of data. You do this well by being accuracy and detail-focused. You have high integrity, a curious mind and love drilling down into the details. This will be a challenging role, with massive scope, but lots of room for exciting growth.
- This role could grow into:
- Head of Finance and Operations
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Build new/improve existing bookkeeping and accounting processes, procedures and policies to ensure data integrity and audit compliance across all our entities
- Assist with annual budget process, monthly financial forecasts and cash flow forecasts which will involve collecting information from various departments
- Monitor and control business performance by comparison of actuals vs budget and vs forecast on a continuous basis, with a view to identify, explain and correct variances as appropriate
- Liaise with our accountants on reconciliations and monthly accruals
- Oversee efficient accounts payable, accounts receivable, expenses and payroll processes
- Be the main point of contact for auditors, banks and tax authorities, and ensure compliance with relevant regulatory requirements and professional standards
Here's what you must have:
- 2+ years of accounting experience within a fast-paced or start-up environment
- First-hand experience using Xero
- Demonstrated analytical and financial acumen
- Experience in dealing and negotiating with third-party vendors
- Ability to think and execute independently
- A compliance-oriented mindset
- A love for getting deep into the details
Here's what would be nice but not necessary that you have:
- ACCA, CPA, CA or equivalent qualification
- Big 4 accounting experience
- Mandarin and/or other Asian languages
The benefits of working for Lingumi:
- Generous salary and equity packages
- Company laptop (if you need one)
- 20 days of paid holiday, plus the week of Chinese New Year (for CN/SG team members) or the Christmas to New Year break, as paid leave
- Coaching on request depending on your needs - whether you need someone to talk to on a regular basis outside of work, or specifically on developing your leadership skills. We have an extensive network and will put you in touch with the right coach for your needs
- We ask you to be in your Hub for the majority of the working week. You can spend some of the week working from the comfort of your home, or even in your favourite coffee shops. If you do decide to work outside of your hub, be sure to book this on CharlieHR. Outside of core meetings, you can organise your time how you want - some team members spend use less productive afternoon hours for personal wellness things like going to the gym or getting a haircut.
- We offer a Productivity and Wellness budget (£100pm) to use on growth and wellness. We typically use this for gym memberships, books or courses.
- We take the team on an annual retreat for 1 week (usually somewhere warm!)
Every child deserves an equal chance in life. If you share our vision of building, inspiring and empowering the world's next generation of learners, apply to join our team today.