Are you a software engineer who is fascinated by how data flows through a system? Or a data engineer who loves testing and automation? Would you like to work with Clojure and Kafka in a 25 strong team that cares deeply about TDD, design patterns and stemming the rising tide of anxiety and depression in society?
Kooth (formerly XenZone) have been doing our thing (chat-based online therapy) since 2005, and already help more than 50,000 children and young adults every month through our service Kooth.com.
Our immediate need is for someone with experience building data streams on top of Kafka. We are using Cloud-based Kafka as a service, so you will not need to maintain or run hosted Kafka services, and will instead focus on evolving our current architecture to write to and read from Kafka topics via streaming applications. We are writing our streams apps using Clojure, because we like the brevity of code and developer experience of using it, and value the match between its functional programming paradigm, and the underlying streaming technology Kafka provides.
You’d love the opportunity to;
- Help us build our data infrastructure and make it easier for us to produce new data products, reliably and quickly so that we can generate insights more easily
- Apply modern engineering practices (CI/CD, testing, automation) to data engineering
- Work on products that help humans when they’re having a tough time, and feel that your skills are having a positive impact on society
You get excited about;
- Working with event driven systems, streams, relational or document DBs...
- ...as well as microservices, serverless functions, infrastructure and pipelines as code
- Working with other areas of the business to deliver valuable data products, both ad-hoc and longer-lived datasets
- Building trust by supplying high quality, warrantied data to internal teams like Research and Development, to analysts, to business folx, and to off-the-shelf and custom applications for data reporting, internal and external metrics
- Working in a pragmatic, evolving agile environment where we care about each other and getting things done
We are all currently working remotely with no plans to be regularly back in the office before 2021.
Our current priority is applications from people based in the UK, and especially candidates who are under-represented in tech.
Our benefits include 28 days holiday (plus public holidays), private healthcare, life assurance and a 3% pension contribution.
Product and Engineering at Kooth works with a diverse set of user needs, thinking about the future of mental health. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our products and services will be. We’ve created an environment where everyone can bring their whole selves to work and we’re proud that our engineering team is currently 70% people who are historically under-represented in tech. We’d love it if you applied for one of our roles.