ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for a junior level lawyer to join a dynamic legal team in an exciting business and industry. The right candidate will have a desire to have a real impact by supporting the legal team and wider business with a wide range of legal and compliance issues on its path to growth and transform access to education. We are a culturally diverse team that consists of a Contracts Manager, 4 Legal Counsels and a Head of Legal.
Although we take our role seriously it is equally important to us that we are able to have fun together and with the wider business.
The Paralegal will provide:
- Advise the business on a range of legal queries, in areas such as IT, Consumer law, IP etc.
- Review and negotiate a range of legal documentation, including partner contracts, services contracts and supplier contracts.
- Identify risk from a commercial and/or legal perspective and assist with finding creative solutions.
- Work with the wider legal team and business to establish and maintain good processes and relationships that enables the legal team to work closely with and be responsive to the business.
- Help the business create precedent documents and policies.
- Advise on GDPR and assist the DPO with data protection issues.
- Review, draft and amend various policies from time to time
- Strong academics - undergraduate with 2:1 or above required
- Law Degree
- Qualified Solicitor (desirable but not essential for the role)
- Good contract drafting skills and technical ability
- Experience working on technology and commercial contracts, preferably with an international company
- Experienced in advising on data protection issues
- Corporate, IP, litigation, and employment law experience is a plus
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and balance and prioritise a large workload in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent working knowledge of contract law and concepts, and policies and procedures related to contract management, as well as knowledge of project management principles
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are required to develop creative solutions to complex business relationships
- An interest in the transformation of online learning delivery and higher and further education institutions
Higher education is being rapidly disrupted by digitisation, globalisation and industry moving into the educational space. At the same time, people’s job security is at risk from rapidly evolving industries, robotics & AI, increasing demand for up-to-date technical, data, digital skills, and shorter job spans. Increasingly we are all transforming into lifelong learners, looking to upskill, reskill or entertain ourselves via effective educational content that provides quality, credentialed and recognised outcomes. In emerging markets the internet is accelerating this trend and opening up access to educational products from universities or institutions thousands of miles away, where previously cost, travel or admission requirements would have made study impossible.
FutureLearn was founded 7 years ago by the Open University, with the purpose of transforming access to education. Our mission is to ride the wave of these trends, and meet the needs of the professional lifelong learner. With new investment from the SEEK group, FutureLearn is now looking to expand globally, focusing on providing credible and valued lifelong learning pathways to professional learners, anywhere, any time from a mix of institutional and industry partners.
We offer lots of flexibility, competitive benefits and a cool work environment. At FutureLearn, we look after each other.
Please use our online form by pressing 'Apply for this job' below, including your CV and a cover letter telling us why you'd like to come work with us. Don’t forget to include your salary expectations.
This role will be fully remote
Closing date for applications will be 20th October
We believe diversity matters and want to create an environment where that diversity can flourish. We encourage everyone to bring their whole self to work, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, race or disability.COVID-19
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.