uMed seeks to be a cornerstone of the efforts to reduce the burden of disease for patients by radically reducing the barriers to knowledge creation.
We are a group of trusting and inclusive individuals, who encourage, are creative and want to make a difference in the world. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and we love to tell a story. We innovate, work hard and take risks but at the forefront is a joint mission to be part of groundbreaking research to ultimately advance and develop science to support those most in need.
What we do
The process of conducting clinical research is incredibly expensive and time consuming, limiting our efforts to find answers to the world’s most important medical challenges. uMed is a clinical research network fit for the 21st century, underpinned by cutting edge technology that connects patients, electronic health data and research groups across the world. Our rapidly growing network covers 100 GP sites in the UK representing over 1,000,000 patients with our first US healthcare system joining us this year bringing a further 2M patients. uMed was founded by an NHS doctor, supported by a world class board and backed by London and US-based venture capital. The board includes our CTO who has previously built health-tech to a successful exit and the former global lead partner in life science for PwC.
The Role: Principal Software Engineer
The is responsible for the platform technology, technical tools, methods and infrastructure. Our Ideal Candidate
Most importantly we are looking for someone who shares our commitment and passion for building technology that saves lives. Consequently, your hard work will be rewarded not only through a competitive salary/benefits package, but through meaningful share options and knowledge you will be contributing to something much greater than yourself.
- System design, integration and optimisation to provide high performing, secure, scalable and reliable services.
- Enhance security and ensure that development adheres to security requirements.
- Designing, coding, and debugging software.
- Continually evaluating and optimising system performance.
- Participate in scrum meetings and assignment of tasks to the development team
- Supervising and overseeing the technical aspects of projects.
- When necessary, provide additional support and mentoring to junior developers to support lead developer
- Provide clear and consistent guidelines to development team to optimise performance of the team, performance of the code and the code integration into the platform
- Keep track of trends in technology – keep our innovative edge. This should cover new technologies and development trends and recommend the use of new technologies where applicable.
- Debate with the CTO the enhancements and evolution of the platform, the areas for broadening functionality and areas for innovation.
- Contribute to the development and realisation of the product roadmap from a technical aspect
- Ensure technical implementations adhere to architectural design principles.
- Ensure adherence to developer guidelines for code development and quality standards across the platform
Core Technologies and Skills
- Python 3.7 + (Asynchronous programming knowledge a must)
- Django 3.x (Detailed knowledge of the ORM essential)
- Django Channels
- REST API’s
- Distributed Processing
- Deep understanding of designing for performance
- SQL - intermediate level (bonus points for in depth knowledge of querying and performance tuning)
- Review process, product, or tool changes that impact the Development team
- Develop tools and methods to optimize delivery, including development, test and migration
- Oversee migration from QA to production environment
Life at uMed
No matter what an organisation is trying to achieve, success or failure is inextricably linked to the people within it. For a young company, there is no redundancy so this relationship is turned up to eleven.
At uMed we punch well above our weight due to the quality of the team we have built, and their dedication to our shared vision. Recognising this dedication we have a fantastic benefits package and accompanying culture at uMed. This includes:
- A meaningful share options package so that you own a part of the company and get rewarded for all of your hard work
- Sponsored wellness package where you can choose from a huge range of activities each month, paid for by us
- Regular team dinners
- Annual week long summer retreat to the sunny south coast (cool camping, banana boats, beaches, and more)
- 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Fantastic and very cool office near Farringdon
- Flexible working with hybrid office/home working routine Job Type: Full-time Salary: £70,000 to £90,000 per year depending on experience