Bloom & Wild is re-inventing the $60B global flower industry. Over a billion flower exchanges take place every year and industry satisfaction levels are low. Driven by our core belief that you can never care too much or be too thoughtful, we do things a little differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. And we’ve seen impressive traction to date - we are Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, growing at 100% year on year (and we’ve been extremely fortunate to see growth remain strong during the pandemic).
We’ve raised multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity funding, have been named one of the 5 fastest growing tech companies in Europe and are alumni of Tech Nation’s Future Fifty. We were also one of the Sunday Times Top 100 Small Companies to Work For 2020. We’ve got a brilliant ideas-led innovation culture. And we’re looking for people from all backgrounds to help drive our next exciting stage of growth.
(Operations) at Bloom & Wild
The overall Bloom & Wild team is now over 100 people. The Operations team at Bloom & Wild is split broadly into three sub-teams, although in practice these sub-teams all work very closely together:
- Fulfilment & Delivery - working closely with our fulfilment partners and carrier partners (and coordinating our own delivery network) to achieve operational excellence and optimise for customer satisfaction, delivery performance, capacity and associated COGS. This sub-team also manages our cross-functional peak planning processes and forecasting at fulfilment level
- Own fulfilment team - we have recently launched our own warehouse in Germany. This team optimises for customer satisfaction, quality and associated COGs
- Supply Chain and Quality - this team manages our supply chain for packaging and non floral gifts as well as working with our flower supply chain partners to optimise for quality in our supply chain
Our key enablers for every element of our operations are data and technology so there is close collaboration with those teams. Even for those processes where we outsource the execution, we use data to continually feedback to our partners and optimise and innovate our processes and products.
The role and ways of working
The location of this role is flexible, however it will involve occasional travel to our London or Spalding offices. You’ll work closely with our Supply Chain Lead to manage all of our stock, packaging and add-ons supply across each of our markets (UK, Germany, France and Ireland). Amongst your day-to-day responsibilities you’ll also own and execute a wide range of supply chain initiatives including:
Supply chain and procurement:
- Working off briefs, you’ll lead the research of new suppliers through tactical and strategic sourcing initiatives
- Work closely with our Supply Chain Lead to tender valuable negotiations with new suppliers
- Drive continuous improvement, best value and quality partnerships with suppliers (new and existing)
- Grow our supply chain whilst keeping to our commitment of making sure our products and processes are as sustainable as they can be
- Research new and sustainable packaging ideas
- Work with a range of UK and international suppliers to develop bespoke add-ons and hardware for our range
- Work closely with our suppliers on new product development of our packaging and continually find ways to innovate - making sure our product is delightful and sustainable as it can be
- Own and monitor our stock, add-ons and hardware documents - ensuring our supply levels are always spot on for each market
- Own our purchase order and imports documents for all countries which includes populating, organising and developing for our finance team
- Supply and stock monitoring of bouquet care cards, whilst working closely with our brand team to ensure their content is relevant and informative for our customers
- Monitor our add-on supplies over peaks (Valentine's Day, Mothers Day and Christmas) and the different flower seasons - ensuring we meet budgetary targets and reducing costs where possible
- Liaise with our packaging suppliers to ensure that our hardware is correctly ordered for all countries each week
- Approve supplier invoices for our finance team
- Constantly use and observe our data to spot quality patterns/issues in our stock, and filtering this information back to our suppliers
- Manage and monitor our customer reports for each country and report this information to our finance team
- Create and continually update our range documents and packing instructions to ensure the highest degree of care is used when bouquets are being packed
- Have a good supply chain understanding with at least 3 years experience with personal experience in procurement
- Have solid Excel skills and are comfortable with pivot tables and manipulating data
- Strong negotiation skills and able to find creative solutions to saving money but achieve top quality partnerships
- Have a genuine interest in flowers
- Use and interpret data to help drive your decisions
- Are methodical in your work and have a razor sharp eye for detail
- Have brilliant communication skills and can work with a range of different stakeholders including 3rd parties
- Can work independently and manage your time effectively
- Are great at finding new ways to innovate and delight our customers
- Have loads of common sense
Currently our full team is working from home and adapting quickly to being totally remote. In addition to our normal perks and benefits we’re supporting each other and maintaining our culture remotely through:
- Twice weekly online yoga class and access to ClassPass workout content
- Birthdays, anniversaries, and special occasions celebrated with the team
- Weekly ‘team drinks trolley’, activities and opportunities to socialise
- Remote lunch and learns
- Wellbeing support through online coaching sessions and employee assistance program
- New slack channels and ways of creating community remotely
- Specialist online support to talk about the challenges we are facing in the current environment
We apply our five key values of delight, customer first, care, innovation and pride in our day to day activities (find out more here) and reward those who are encompassing them exceptionally. Everyone is friendly and sociable, with regular company-wide events.
Return to work and our new normal
The safety and wellbeing of our team is our primary concern during this period and our return to our beautiful, flower filled office will be gradual, considered and only when our team feels safe to do so.
Whilst recognising that some of our team will prefer to work in our office, this period has proven that our team can embrace remote work extremely successfully and our plan moving forward is to find ways of continuing to incorporate remote work into our ways of working.
When we’re in the office:
Our lovely, light and spacious office is conveniently located close to Vauxhall and Oval stations in London. We have an informal, startup culture, with employee-friendly policies such as:
- 25 days holiday, with an additional day off for your birthday, plus bank holidays, totalling 34 days, per annum. There is also the option to buy an extra 5 days holiday
- Choose your laptop and any extra equipment you need to do your best work
- Free breakfast, snacks and team lunches
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare Vouchers
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Personal Development Budget
- Family Friendly Policy - including enhanced family friendly packages and a salary sacrifice childcare scheme
- Pension Contribution
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lunch & Learns
- Discounted blooms
- Bloom & Go Wild trips - most recently we went to Paris!
See more on what it’s like to work at Bloom & Wild here.
Our Recruitment Process
The interview process consists of a thirty minute phone call with a member of our recruitment team. Given the current situation in the UK due to COVID-19 then this will be followed by a series of remote interviews with our Supply Chain Lead, followed by further interviews with our Operations Director and our COO.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and would love to hear from you directly on how we can improve. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let us know here.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team - so we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.