Hummingbird Technologies is the leading global remote sensing business for agriculture, using artificial intelligence and imagery analytics gathered from drones, planes and satellites technology, combined with weather and soil data and expert plant pathology to enable precision agriculture. We use the most advanced machine learning and computer vision techniques, delivering actionable insights on crop health directly to the field meaning farmers on the ground are able to manage their land in a more sustainable manner.
We were awarded KPMGs Best British Tech Startup 2019 and Cognition X Best AI Product for Agriculture 2018.
Existing backers of the business include The European Space Agency, Sir James Dyson, Horizon Ventures, Downing Ventures and Velcourt, Europe’s largest commercial farming operation. We also have tech partners which include Google UK and Cranfield University.
Hummingbird was founded in 2016 at the Imperial College technology incubator and we have raised over £10m in funding so far.
We operate internationally with offices in the UK, Ukraine, Russia, Australia, Brazil and Canada.
We are looking for an experienced Lead Engineer specialising in React and frontend technologies to join Hummingbird Technologies in order to provide an impeccable user experience for the global agricultural revolution. We need someone to take ownership of the frontend platform, implementing and enforcing best practices while working closely with UI/UX designers and API developers. You’ll take charge of ensuring designs are implementable then break them down and oversee and contribute to their completion.
While our platform isn’t a blank slate, it is evolving rapidly and each quarter brings new challenges. Currently we are migrating to Typescript and GraphQL as well as implementing a modular code base architecture as we move from early stage to enterprise scale readiness.
As a Lead Front End Engineer, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to mentor and lead the other engineers. Our existing team of engineers are keen to learn more about architecting a frontend system. We are growing rapidly, and as we do you'll be able to help us shape the future direction and structure of the company.
- Demonstrable experience with React as a Senior/Lead Frontend Engineer
- Experience architecting frontend apps for rapid scalability and performance
- A desire to lead, build and mentor the frontend team.
- Familiarity with frontend development toolchains (e.g. Babel and Webpack)
- Solid knowledge of cloud computing, serverless infrastructure, and CI/CD pipelines
- Work visa for UK / EU passport (we do not sponsor visas)
Bonus if you have
- Experience with geospatial data and map APIs (e.g. Google Maps, Leaflet, MapBox)
- Interest in modern technologies such as GraphQL (Apollo), Typescript and CSSinJS
- Familiarity with E2E and integration testing (Cypress & React Testing Library)
- Familiarity with React Native or mobile application development
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science or Engineering (or a related field), or equivalent work experience
- Been part of or lead a team for a rapidly scaling start-up
- Personal demonstrable interest in environmental impact and sustainability
- The opportunity to work on an innovative product and shape the future of the agriculture industry
- Private Healthcare
- Government Pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra day off for your birthday
- Learning & development allowance