No agencies or recruiters please.
- Job title: VP Engineering (potential for CTO)
- Directorate: Engineering
- Responsible to: COO
- Salary: Competitive package DOE including options
- Location: Remote with monthly meet in Southern UK
Founded in 2018, billx is a next generation payments platform for consumers and business customers. Using the Open Banking framework, billx allows users to quickly and easily request payment from friends, family, and customers. These payments are made securely and without the need to manually exchange any card details or account numbers.
The business has recently completed its first round of fundraising and is currently concluding its second (Seed) round. This is to drive forward our product launch, build out our team, and bring the power of the billx infrastructure to a full suite of business customers.
To-date, the first release of our platform has been delivered by an external development team. Following our original strategy, we are now in the process of building our internal development capability - our first hire being that of VP Engineering.
In this role, you will be responsible for taking a technical lead on our product and engineering workstreams. You will join a small founding team and shape our B2B and B2C offerings in beta before bringing them to market and executing our business plan
As the first engineering hire we still expect you to be hands on and ,as such, you will initially work alongside the current, external development team, building your understanding of the platform, its architecture and environment that supports it. You will take responsibility for leading the development of new features, as defined in our product roadmap together with the overall development . You will be responsible for planning the structure of the engineering team and for hiring a team of engineers to deliver billx’s products. This is a huge opportunity to get in at the ground floor of a company with massive potential and to have a position of influence to build a tech team and infrastructure.
- Being the champion of a technology-led culture within the business.
- Hiring additional developers and resources to help us achieve our technical objectives.
- Supporting the rest of the founding team in finding and retaining technical expertise.
- Taking a hands-on approach to understanding and developing our existing code base and preparing it for future work and new products.
- Articulating technical problems and solutions to the rest of the founding team, or potential clients in either written or verbal form.
- Completing technical tasks and coding work where appropriate to either help transfer or develop functionality.
- Being the primary technical contact for external suppliers and developers, supported closely by the COO.
- Maintaining the tech stack and putting into place a Disaster Recovery strategy.
- Product delivery - work alongside the founding team to ensure that billx’s product roadmap is properly specc’d out for each new feature/build, that resource is allocated efficiently on each build, that the right tools are used, that the new functionality is properly tested and that deadlines are met.
- Build out the internal team - carefully evaluate the current technical capacity of the business, designing and executing a plan to ensure billx has the right staff and competencies to deliver the short to medium term development objectives. The team should run smoothly and efficiently without confusion around priorities or responsibility.
- Platform stability – Responsible for ensuring the platform is robust and can support all future developments. The platform must be able to sustain increased traffic and an increasing number of transactions.
The billx platform is built on a microservices architecture running on Azure / Kubernetes. An iOS and Android mobile app built on Cordova delivers our consumer experience, with a business experience next on our roadmap. You will be required to have several years’ experience in designing and building systems of a similar nature.
Specifically, you’ll have experience in the following:
- Platform architectural design
- Mentoring team members
- Open banking
- Integrating 3rd party APIs
- Notification services
- Working with 3rd party development teams
As well as the above skills and experience, we are looking for someone who has a number of core competencies as follows:
- Organisation - You’ll be adept at managing your time to deliver your own work as well as when collaborating with others. As we build the team, you’ll also help with prioritising the workload of your team mates.
- Problem solving - You’ll be able to think laterally, solving problems quickly as well as elegantly. We expect you to know the detail, but also be able to see the big picture, taking both into account in your thinking.
- Quality control - You’ll help define and then ensure adherence to high quality standards. Our users have high expectations, and so do we as our reputation lives and dies by the quality of what we deliver.
- Development - Your code will be accurate, efficient and easy to maintain. You’ll be adept at the full development lifecycle, from definition through development, testing and deployment.
- Knowledge - You’ll be a keen learner, ensuring your skills remain up-to-date in a fast-moving technical world.
Please send your CV and covering letter.
No agencies or recruiters please.