Nye Health is a seed stage, VC-backed healthtech co. based in the Oxford Foundry and Edinburgh. We’re re-imagining the research layer in healthcare. Our mission is to accelerate research and medical progress by working with citizens and the NHS. Thousands of clinicians use Nye to deliver care to millions of patients. We provide the telemedicine that is powering multiple clinical trials during the pandemic (including Oxford University’s COVID vaccine trial). We’re backed by angels, NHS healthcare providers and leading healthcare VCs. Our seed round was one of the largest for any health tech company in Europe.
Since the start of 2020, we’ve experienced on average double-digit percentage weekly growth. We’re now looking to build our team for the next phase of our journey. Working at Nye won’t be a natural fit for everyone. For the right candidate, this is an opportunity to work in a small, tight-knit team committed to solving meaningful problems.
The role: Software Engineer
The team is looking for new members to join the web and server development team. Based in Edinburgh, the role involves working in a newly formed software team working in our product teams to deliver web applications and backend software through a complete software lifecycle.
Nye is looking for capable, self-motivated engineers with experience of delivering modern software in an agile manner. The successful candidate will have a passion for great software design and implementation, full ownership of issues, as well as thorough testing and documentation, where appropriate.
The successful candidate is likely to have the following:
- A degree in Computer Science, Maths, Physics or an Engineering disciple
- Roughly 2 - 5 years experience working in commercial software development
- Experience of testing at various levels and test-driven development
- Excellent communication skills - written & diagrammatic - as well as verbal
The successful candidate would ideally have some experience or interest in the following:
- PHP development and the Laravel Framework
- Front end development
- Implementation of Cyber-security in the engineering design
- Relational Database design, data modelling or IG governance
About Nye's software and technology
Nye Health believes strongly in modern software development practices. We are always looking for improvements to our process and ways of working. We work in multi-disciplinary product teams, to SCRUM, applied practically, not dogmatically!
The technology stack revolves around Atlassian products for Issue management and documentation, AWS for infrastructure, XUnit, Cypress, XRay & Saucelabs for testing and Bitbucket for version control and CI/ CD. We look for opportunities to automate process where sensible but not overly onerous.
We favour quality and consistency over wild deadlines (although sometimes that can happen!). Carefully thought through software design with a ‘just enough’ documentation and thorough testing gets a gold star. We don’t hire software developers to write lengthy prose and trawl through huge requirements documents!
- Own a part of Nye: competitive salary and share options through an EMI share option scheme
- Pension: through the NEST scheme
- Flexible working: This is not a fully remote role. However we trust you to own your own work and deliver on your commitments.
- Working from home: We’ll support you with equipment you need to be able to work comfortably from home.
- City centre location: Our tech team is based in the heart of Edinburgh
- Top-notch hardware: High-end laptop and equipment - Windows or Mac - Linux builds are always available
- Social and collaborative culture: Regular socials (both online and offline) and opportunities to attend Tech Meetups etc.
- Flexible holiday allowance
- Industry leading internal processes: from the tools we use to communicate, to how we manage expenses, holiday and payroll, we use the best available tools for our internal process management.