Gousto are on a mission to become the UK's favourite way to eat dinner!
Delicious recipes, precise ingredients & a dollop of adventure, delivered to your door. We have invested into our technology, data capability and our product to ensure the customer is at the heart of what we do. Every aspect of our business is powered by our passion.
Whether it is innovation through our recipe development, building algorithms to optimise our recipe box journey or devising strategies to reduce plastic and food waste. All our teams play a part in our amazing growth in the UK!
Our DREAM? To be the most-loved way to eat dinner, and for every meal to leave the planet better off. Gousto is changing how people shop, cook and eat food at home. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join our team!
We use the latest technologies to create simple and elegant solutions to complex problems. We’re ‘all in’ on AWS using many of its services. Our platform and continuous delivery pipeline is fully automated using Cloudformation & Ansible, we release code to production multiple times a day and we’re in the process of moving our microservices architecture to containers. We build our services in Python and Node.js with a significant proportion now delivered via AWS Lambda.
To support our growth, we’re looking for experienced and passionate Senior Python Software Engineers to help us take our technology platform to the next level. As a Senior Python Software Engineer at Gousto, you’ll be working closely with other members of the Engineering team to help shape our architecture, our engineering processes and help to build a massively talented engineering team.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated an ability to apply their broad and deep technical skills within a commercial setting and will always be striving to solve real business problems using the most elegant technical solutions. We want someone with a solid understanding of what it takes to design and deliver scalable, distributed, cloud-based systems in a highly available manner.
Most of all you’ll be passionate about making Gousto a success.
Delivering delight to our customers - You’ll be working on one of our cross-functional product teams focusing on giving our customers the best possible experience. Day to day your work will involve shipping new features, experimenting with the best possible approach to a problem, supporting other teams or departments, or doing whatever it takes to help us hit our business goals.
Building a world-class engineering team – We’ve been on a journey to scale our engineering teams over the past few years and will continue to significantly invest in engineering going forwards. We believe that one of the most important things our senior engineers do is mentor the more junior members of the team. Helping to build a truly great team of engineers will be a hugely important part of what you do.
Continuing to evolve our agile development process – We give our teams the autonomy to choose the right approach to development, we currently use Scrum or Kanban. We like it and we believe it aligns with Gousto’s delivery led culture. However, we also understand that great agile processes aren’t written in stone. We’re looking for someone who’s experienced agile practices and brings a small batch, lean approach to working.
Scaling our event-driven microservices architecture – We’ve worked hard on breaking out monolith into microservices. We’ve come a long way and made some real progress but we still have work to do to get us to our goal. We’re looking for someone who understands how to identify and split out key functionality, and crucially knows what the common pitfalls are, and how to avoid them!
Obsessing over quality & performance – As one of our most senior engineers you should obsess over the quality of what the team delivers. Whether that be the quality and maintainability of our code or making sure we identify and squash every bug out there. We’re also an e-commerce business, we understand that every millisecond counts when it comes to page speed and we want you to help us make our site fly!
Caring for our platform – As an engineer at Gousto you will be expected to care about the platform. This includes the life of the code, from the design, the code quality, the care for your components and potentially being part of a rota to provide weekend support every few months during our daily key processes.
As part of the Supply tribe at Gousto the Senior Engineer will be responsible for the following areas:
- Software development using the Python programming language in order to:
- Build and maintain Gousto supply chain functionality
- Mentor and train our junior engineers
- Identify opportunities to improve our systems and put those opportunities into practice.
- Ability to design, implement and maintain a distributed system based on AWS using technologies such as SNS/SQS, Lambda, DynamoDb, RDS and Docker.
- Aware of best practices in both Python and distributed systems development to help the team avoid common pitfalls and ensure we deliver on time.
- Communicate concepts and ideas to people with different levels of technical expertise throughout the business. This includes face to face, written communication and presentations.
- Attend guild (cross-team) meetings to help organise consistent software development practices across the Gousto technical organisation.
- Take part in our hiring process by conducting technical interviews.
- Work in a cross-functional team of software engineers, data scientists and product managers. Taking business requirements and helping shape them into well-defined units of work that the team can deliver.
- Understanding and evolving our agile development process. Helping ensure that the team delivers high-quality software in an iterative fashion.
- Maintain operation health of systems within the Supply tribe. For example debugging, triaging and writing up production issues as well as implementing monitoring and instrumentation.
- Broad and deep engineering skills primarily with Python.
- A proven track record leading technology teams in complex engineering environments. Ideally, you'll have experience building software that is used across multiple teams
- Experience of working with, and shaping, distributed systems on a public cloud platform.
- Worked within a DevOps organisation. At Gousto our developers are responsible for the operational health of the services they develop. We believe this fosters a great culture and are looking for someone who knows how to handle those rare but critical production issues.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, whether to the engineering team, to business stakeholders or to our leadership team
What’s it like working at Gousto?
All of us are responsible for the success of Gousto. Our guiding values - dream, deliver and care - show our commitment to innovation, our ambition to hit goals at speed, and our deep respect for the people we work with.
You’re a confident self-starter, able to juggle multiple projects in a dynamic, exciting and entrepreneurial environment. You take initiative and are a problem-solver with an eagle eye for detail. You’ll consistently go the extra mile to apply and achieve a high standard across everything you do.
Dream - Be confident in your curiosity: think big, aim high and respectfully stand up for what you believe in.
Deliver - We look for effective answers that will have a real impact, take initiative to solve problems and have a healthy impatience for change.
Care - We care about our colleagues, customers and suppliers - they are key to our success - and about where our food comes from, the quality of our ingredients and our impact on the environment.
Where we’re based:
Shepherd’s Bush, London
Hidden away behind Shepherd’s Bush Green you’ll find Gousto HQ. Our London office holds the tech team, finance team, people team, marketing team, food team, proposition team, and customer care team... and we’re growing all the time.
Sprawled over the fields of Spalding is the Gousto warehouse, where all our boxes start their journeys. Our Spalding site holds the ops team, the logistics team, the food tech team, and even more of our customer care team.
REMOTE VACANCIES AVAILABLE for those outside of Greater London
At Gousto we are constantly looking to evolve our benefits for our people. Employees at Gousto are the key ingredient to our success and growth!
Our offices are ergonomically tested for comfort, noise levels and ensuring we have different spaces to collaborate in. Not to mention daily coffee, tea, fruit and ice creams (vegan options too!). We have weekly Friday socials ranging from team updates, birthday celebrations, meet ups and more! Soft drinks, beer, wine and more snacks included! (Well we do love food)
Ping pong, gaming events, running clubs to pub clubs, wellbeing days and quarterly people events are just a few of the initiatives in place. With more to be announced in 2020!
All Gousto employees are offered a benefits package of:
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays) - You can buy up to 5 days extra holiday!
- A holiday day added each year (up to 30 days)
- 40% Gousto discount
- Your first Gousto box FREE
- 25% Gousto discount for friends and family
- Free food & recipes from the test kitchen
- Gousto stash - hoodie, notepad, mug
For the full Gousto list of benefits just get in touch and we can share all the details!
Whether it is creating diversity in our recipes or building new teams, we care about our people and the opportunities they have at Gousto.
We are committed to equality of opportunity across our organisation. At all levels we promote equality, ensuring our people are consistently treated in a fair and equal manner.