TLDR: We're looking for a full stack engineer to build beautiful & functional products from start-to-finish. You'll join as the 4th engineer in our growing engineering team.
zeroheight is a Y Combinator company shaping the future of the UX design industry by allowing any company to have a design system. Our aim is to provide the same quality of design system tooling that companies like Facebook and Google have. Right now, we're focused on enabling the creation of a documentation site for their design system. We've grown organically to 700+ paying teams by talking to users and building a product people love 💝
We're delivering the features our users need but... we'd love to go faster - that's where you come in 😁
What would you be doing?
We're still small (3 engineers, 9 people total) so you'd be working on building all types of features alongside our designer and CTO. You'll have start-to-finish ownership of the features which brings accountability but also an awesome sense of pride when users love your work. You'll be involved in planning scope to ensure we deliver value to our users quickly.
Here are some examples of recent features to give a taste of what you could be working on:
- a new JSON editor for defining shared design variables and an API to deliver them to developers
- inviting people to view a design system using a "magic link"
- adding support for file attachments (stored in S3)
You'll also be included in some things that are outside the traditional "software engineering" domain. Things like helping with support queries, planning the product roadmap, project management for your features and discussing wider company processes. Joining now is great if you want to broaden your skills or you'd like to create your own startup at some point.
If you're interested, here's a more detailed idea of what you'd be up to in the first 6 months
How is zeroheight different?
Here's what we think zeroheight does differently compared to another job you might be considering:
- a focus on QA and UX - we take UX quality seriously and make sure everything is excellent before we ship. This also means we have to be careful about scope-creep to ensure we have time to polish.
- ownership - you'll own a feature from start-to-finish. This means you have the freedom to decide how to build it and you're responsible for the implementation and release.
- everyone plans - we try and get everyone involved in planning and scoping features to prevent a top-down driven approach where engineers are just pumping out feature specs.
- document ALL THE THINGS - we use Notion for our process documentation and try our hardest to answer every question with a link. This means we have a great knowledge-base that we're constantly improving.
- 10% time - we have a day set aside every 2 weeks to work on whatever you like.
You can learn more about zeroheight on our About us page
Our tech stack
We use React to build any new UI components, paired with Storybook to work on them in isolation. We then integrate them into the main product. The bulk of the existing codebase is written in Marionette (Backbone.js) so we're working on a smooth transition (instead of a massive rewrite).
On the backend, our main server is in Rails (Ruby). We host our database and cloud on AWS and use serverless functions (AWS Lambda) for a few things.
One word of warning - if you're super passionate about a particular tech, our early-stage startup might not be the right place for you. We're focused on getting things done and shipping an amazing product; we'll use whatever tech helps us get there.
If these points mostly resonate, let's have a chat:
- You love creating beautiful UIs with precision and attention to detail; you understand how important design is to a successful product
- You're curious to learn about the design process and design systems.
- You relish the challenge of an early-stage startup - you have a proactive attitude and a strong drive to succeed in a startup environment where you'll need to be autonomous and adaptable to change.
- You're looking for somewhere to grow - you want to get stuck in and have a real impact in the company's future. You're ambitious and not afraid of taking on more responsibility as we grow.
- At least 3 years working as a software engineer
- Some experience with backend
Useful / Bonus experience
How do we work?
We use Gitlab for the majority of our day-to-day work: tickets and pull requests. Instead of a traditional standup, we each write our plan for the day on Slack in the mornings. This gives greater flexibility over start time and allows people to read the updates in their own time. Hours are flexible - we have a recommended weekly total but the start / end time are up to you.
Each week we have a retrospective to take a critical look at how we can improve our processes. We also do weekly sprint planning to schedule our work.
The feature roadmap is planned quarterly by the whole team. We base it on a consolidation of the feedback from our users and our strategic plans.
Let's make this happen!
zeroheight is entering a very exciting phase - our documentation tool is used by hundreds of teams around the world and we're in a great place to build on that. Over the next few years, we'll be creating the design system tools of the future and we'd love you to come along for the ride.
Here's how it will work:
- You apply using our very short email application form
- Hello 👋 (45m, video call)
- Coding ⌨️ (1h, video screen share)
- System design 🕸 (1h, video call)
- Meet with the founders🙌 (1h, video call)
- We make a decision quickly and let you know
Note: you must be eligible to work in the UK as we can't sponsor visas
About the team
- Flexible working hours and work-from-home culture
- Free yoga, wellness and other fitness activities
- Lunch out with the team every month
- Yearly budget for online courses and books
- Generous new starter budget to spend on your workspace
There is a fundamental shift in the UX industry towards using Design Systems to build products. Design Systems are systems of reusable UX components that allow companies to create and ship user interfaces more efficiently than ever before. All the design-driven companies have one, and we believe that in the future every company will.
But there's a problem: most companies don't have the resources to do it all themselves. This is where zeroheight comes in! We make it possible for any company in the world to have the same quality of Design System tools that companies like Facebook and Google have.