Here at Gousto, we are on a mission to become the UK's favourite way to eat dinner!
Delicious recipes, precise ingredients & a dollop of adventure, delivered to your door. We have invested into our technology, data capability and our product to ensure the customer is at the heart of what we do. Every aspect of our business is powered by our passion.
Whether it is innovation through our recipe development, building algorithms to optimise our recipe box journey or devising strategies to reduce plastic and food waste. All our teams play a part in our amazing growth in the UK!
Our DREAM? To be the most-loved way to eat dinner, and for every meal to leave the planet better off. Gousto is changing how people shop, cook and eat food at home. It’s an incredibly exciting time to join our team!
Senior Data Scientist - Menu Tribe
We have a new opportunity within our Data Science team for a Senior Data Scientist to lead on Data Science products & projects within our Menu tribe. The tribe focuses on ensuring that we are providing our users with the best possible product, by helping them find the perfect recipes for them.
Our data science efforts within the Menu tribe are focused on providing personalised recipe recommendations and implementing algorithms that help the Food team understand which recipes to make and put on the menu.
This role will focus on improving personalisation across our service through ensuring we are collecting and leveraging relevant data, using the latest recommendation algorithms to provide effective recipe suggestions to our customers and building a dynamic, scalable solution to serve these recommendations.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will drive cross-functional working, build valuable data science use cases, and mentor other data scientists in the Tribe. You will be experienced at driving successful data science projects and working with other data scientists. At Gousto we look to support and develop our people at all levels and are passionate about continued development within Data Science.
You’ll enjoy collaborating with our Software Engineers, Data Engineers and Product Managers, translating data science into robust and scalable data products as the business continues to grow massively.
To be successful and more importantly enjoy being a Data Scientist at Gousto, you will be passionate about finding solutions for our customers.
Join us and let’s dream big and deliver bigger.
Give it some Gousto.
Who You Are
- Adventurer in data science - As a senior member of the data-science team you will be using advanced machine-learning and optimisation techniques to build tools that will improve the business and make our service highly personalised. We look to our senior team members to unlock new step changes in performance for our existing data products, introduce new theories and technologies to the team and leverage data science in new areas of the business.
- End-to-end owner of data products - The problems we pursue are diverse and have a direct impact on the business. They range from leveraging users’ browsing behaviours for better recommendations to algorithmically designing recipe menus based on customers' tastes. We believe that if you build something, you should run it too. This means that our data scientists take ownership over the entire process from ideation to deployment, as well as automation and maintenance. Knowing our data products inside-out allows us to keep learning and improving.
- Passionate about impact - We have big plans for the future, hence we are looking for creative thinkers to help drive the business and disrupt the online grocery market by leveraging machine learning and optimisation. You will work with amazing colleagues and look forward to solving challenging problems that will have a significant impact on the product and our customers. You’ll recognise when to meet complex problems with advanced solutions or when a simple approach cuts through all complexity. Most of all, you are excited about Gousto’s mission and product and really enjoy working with the team.
- Relentlessly raising the bar – We believe that one of the most important things our senior data scientists do is educate the more junior members of the team. We’re looking for someone who can bring new and innovative engineering practices into the team, someone who is willing to help educate and help to improve what we do on a daily basis. As a senior member of the team, you’re always on the lookout for opportunities to help the team fulfil their potential.
What’s it like working at Gousto?
- All of us are responsible for the success of Gousto. Our guiding values - dream, deliver and care - show our commitment to innovation, our ambition to hit goals at speed, and our deep respect for the people we work with.
- Be confident in your curiosity: think big, aim high and respectfully stand up for what you believe in.
- We look for effective answers that will have a real impact, take initiative to solve problems and have a healthy impatience for change.
- We care about our colleagues, customers and suppliers - they are key to our success - and about where our food comes from, the quality of our ingredients and our impact on the environment.
- Strong Data Science industry experience is key for our Senior Data Scientists
- Strong proven understanding of machine learning techniques and optimisation algorithms
- Comfortable using SQL
- Experience with managing productionisation of data products
- Experience measuring and managing data product performance
- Great communication skills – being able to explain your work and the impact on the business to all types of business partners
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for data, attention to detail, and a positive attitude
Bonus Points For
- Experience in building and deploying recommender systems
- Experience in deploying machine learning algorithms into production environments (AWS)
- Experience in Deep Learning (RNN)
All Gousto employees are offered a benefits package of:
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays) - You can buy up to 5 days extra holiday!
- A holiday day added each year (up to 30 days)
- 40% Gousto discount
- Your first Gousto box FREE
- 25% Gousto discount for friends and family
- Gousto Academy training courses
- Free food & recipes from the test kitchen
- Gousto stash - hoodie, notepad, mug
For the full Gousto list of benefits just get in touch and we can share all the details!
Whether it is creating diversity in our recipes or building new teams, we care about our people and the opportunities they have at Gousto.
We are committed to equality of opportunity across our organisation. At all levels we promote equality, ensuring our people are consistently treated in a fair and equal manner.