We've just raised $25 million in Series B funding from Octopus Ventures and Eight Roads to fuel our next phase of growth. Read about it here.
We’re looking for a software engineer to join our tight-knit and dynamic engineering team at the Mention Me headquarters in Vauxhall, London. Reporting into one of our Tech Leads, the successful candidate will work within our product teams to understand customer requirements and use technology to build solutions which deliver business value.
Who we are
Mention Me is the Referral Engineering™ platform for growth-obsessed ecommerce brands. Our world-class programmes have delivered more than 4m referrals totalling £1bn+ in revenue for 450+ brands around the globe.
Founded as a bootstrapped two-man company in 2013, we now employ more than 90 specialists and work with brands including Farfetch, Bloom & Wild and Nutmeg. Our work has been celebrated by awards including Showcase Startup at Retail Week’s Buzz conference, Best Tech Startup at Drapers Digital Festival, and a Bronze Stevie for Customer Service Team of the Year.
We're looking for multiple enthusiastic software engineers who want to contribute their solutions and ideas to help take referral to the next level! We empower engineers to work with other experts across the business to find the solutions that accelerate the value of referral for our clients. We do this through the INSPIRED product process (from svpg.com) where small, multi-disciplinary teams of product managers, designers and engineers build products that move us towards our vision.
We're looking for engineers who are keen to get involved in it all: from the backend systems (Symfony, PHP), to the frontend (React, Typescript); the APIs (GraphQL, REST); and the tools and technologies that keep it all humming. You don't need to be an expert in everything - you'll be working with a talented team of engineers, each with their own strengths and expertise and we work together to support each other.
If you want to be involved in product and technology from the ground up in a small team that loves continuous improvement, this role would be perfect for you.
We’re looking for enthusiastic software engineers comfortable with PHP and/or React and keen to help figure out the solutions for how we make our product fantastic. Our challenges are not just rooted in code, but in the complexity of referral and how that maps to the goals of our clients.
In a typical day, you'll be working towards one of our company goals - for instance looking to improve the customer experience of referral, helping our clients perform more valuable A/B testing, or guiding our clients through the complexity of running and supporting a world beating referral program.
You'll engage closely with product managers, designers, your engineering peers, alongside stakeholders from the wider business including our delightful client team. You'll be experimenting with our product, aiming to fail fast in product research and help us get through the cycle of testable to usable to loveable. You'll use your expertise in collaboration with your colleagues to build on the Mention Me platform, using PHP and/or Typescript to bring your (and your teams) ideas to life.
You'll also take ownership with your peers of deploying code, measuring the effectiveness of your teams experiments and making informed choices with the data available to build improvements. We're delivering product together - and we're all here to help each other through feedback, training and coaching too.
Our list of essentials below is short, and we're looking for someone who can see themselves being successful in the role described above.
- Experience with PHP and/or React in a commercial, agile software delivery, environment
- A desire to put the user first - not the technology
- Good written and verbal skills - particularly with non-technical people regarding technical subjects
- Experience using git, GitHub and continuous integration (or equivalent technologies)
- Have the right to work in the UK
We'd love to see a candidate who can demonstrate experience in the following, but we do not consider them essential:
- Building within a production-strength SaaS platform based on best practice architectures, providing high availability (last year we had 99.97% uptime)
- GraphQL, Typescript, LESS, MySQL, and the AWS stack or other equivalent technologies
- Working within a multi-disciplinary product team, and experience working closely with designers and product managers to define, measure and achieve product success
- Designing with a security-first approach
- Have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Maths or a related discipline
Want to know more?
Check out our engineering blog here: https://eng.mention-me.com
Here’s why you should join us:
We’re big on culture and strive to make Mention Me a great place to work. Here are just some of the reasons to join us:
You can expect:
- A competitive package, plus options in a growing scale-up
- Personal development, including training and conference budgets, a mentoring programme and a personal challenge fund
- 25 days of holiday plus Bank Holidays every year, as well as an extra day off for every year of service
- Company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave
- Cycle to work scheme
As well as:
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding work, including the monthly Wheel of Wow, Unsung Hero and termly Founders’ Award for Awesomeness. Prizes include £500 cash, meals out and even trips away
- A work-life balance. We encourage lunch breaks, regularly work from home, and are open to flexible working
- Weekly online yoga classes
- Sessions with a qualified therapist through Spill
- An amazing office, complete with drinks fridge and snacks cupboard
- Regular social events, from chocolate-tasting and pottery-making, to poker nights and picnics
- Subsidised gym memberships and Classpass
We welcome remote Mentioneers. The majority of our team work a hybrid week: 2 days in Vauxhall, London and 3 days remote. We welcome those who are looking for more flexibility as well as those looking to be in the office more regularly.
Diversity, equity and inclusion
We celebrate every Mentioneer, exactly as they are. We don’t shy away from breaking down systemic discrimination in society, or from difficult conversations and decisions. We’re committed to being a force for change.
The same goes for our recruitment. We welcome every application, regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, physical ability, family structure, socioeconomic status, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation or gender identity.