BenevolentAI unites technology with human intelligence to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines. We have developed the Benevolent Platform®, a drug discovery platform built on powerful data foundations with state of the art machine learning and AI technology. Our technology empowers scientists to decipher the vast and complex code underlying human biology, find new ways to treat disease and personalise medicines to patients. Benevolent has active in-house R&D drug programmes in disease areas such as neurodegeneration, immunology, oncology and inflammation and has research and commercial collaborations with leading pharmaceutical and research organisations.
The company is headquartered in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Who we are
We are an eclectic bunch at Benevolent, united by our belief that innovative thinking and purposeful technology can truly change outcomes for the better. Our mission is to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines for patients in need and we do this by applying AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to reinvent the ways drugs are discovered and developed. We strive to bring together unique skills and perspectives across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI research, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
We are looking for a highly experienced medicinal chemist at Senior Principal Scientist level. As a key part of our Chemical Sciences team, you will be responsible for working closely with senior cheminformatics, AI, machine learning, engineering and product development leaders to help shape the development of our proprietary computational platform to maximise its impact on Drug Discovery programmes at all stages from target identification through to Candidate selection.
Our state-of-the-art platform utilises novel machine learning, cheminformatic and computational chemistry techniques to transform the way targets and binding sites are prioritised, early hit matter is identified and complex molecular optimisations across ADMET space are performed. Working closely with the senior product manager, the candidate will bring their wide-ranging experience and knowledge of Drug Discovery to help prioritise the development of our platform to best impact on our diverse portfolio.
As an experienced medicinal chemist, a further part of the role will be direct contribution to programmes from Hit Identification through to Candidate delivery in either a chemistry or project leadership capacity.
The successful Candidate will be working to support small molecule Drug Discovery at our headquarters in London devising creative ways to reimagine the way medicines are discovered.
- Working closely with technical experts within cheminformatics, AI, machine learning, engineering and product development, you will be responsible for helping define and prioritise the development of our computational chemistry platform to best advance our Drug Discovery portfolio.
- You will bring your extensive knowledge of medical chemistry programmes and Drug Discovery to help identify novel opportunities to exploit our technology.
- Oversight of the medicinal chemistry strategy and/or project strategy on one or more Drug Discovery programmes, providing clear direction aligned with company goals.
- With a wide experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary Drug Discovery teams, you will work closely with experts across biology, pharmacology & DMPK as well as machine learning and cheminformatics experts.
- You will possess a good awareness of current and emerging state-of-the-art technologies and strategies within drug discovery.
- We are constantly looking for new ways to improve the Drug Discovery process so your proactive and positive problem-solving mindset will allow you to contribute strategically to the development of BenevolentAI technology.
- Direct supervision of others will form part of the role and matrix leadership of cross-functional teams may also be required.
- You will establish and maintain close working relationships with Senior Management for project planning, alignment and delivery.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD or equivalent experience in synthetic organic chemistry or very closely related area.
- 10+ years experience in an industrial setting applying medicinal chemistry expertise to the successful advancement of drug discovery projects to important milestones.
- A track record of significant, innovative personal contributions to the progression of multiple Drug Discovery programmes and the identification of Candidate Drugs.
- You’ll have a strong ability to critically analyse and act upon complex datasets across e.g. synthetic chemistry, biological and DMPK data, AI predictions and many other areas and a track record of providing innovative solutions to advance Drug Discovery programmes.
- Previous line management experience and the ability to motivate and develop team members required.
- Examples of using novel data analyses or AI approaches in compound design or progression would be an advantage.
- Previous project leadership experience preferred.
Together, we envision a world in which no disease goes untreated. If you are benevolent, curious, want to tackle real world problems and are willing to embrace new ideas, hit that ‘apply’ button and join us.