BenevolentAI unites technology with human intelligence to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines. We have developed the Benevolent Platform®, a drug discovery platform built on powerful data foundations with state of the art machine learning and AI technology. Our technology empowers scientists to decipher the vast and complex code underlying human biology, find new ways to treat disease and personalise medicines to patients. Benevolent has active in-house R&D drug programmes in disease areas such as neurodegeneration, immunology, oncology and inflammation and has research and commercial collaborations with leading pharmaceutical and research organisations.
The company is headquartered in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Who we are
We are an eclectic bunch at Benevolent, united by our belief that innovative thinking and purposeful technology can truly change outcomes for the better. Our mission is to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines for patients in need and we do this by applying AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to reinvent the ways drugs are discovered and developed. We strive to bring together unique skills and perspectives across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI research, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
We are looking for a number of lab based synthetic / medicinal chemists at Senior Scientist level. As a key part of our Chemical Sciences team, you’ll make important contributions to our Drug Discovery programmes from Hit ID through to Lead Optimisation and Candidate delivery, utilising AI to drive down cycle times and identify the best compounds for progression into the clinic.
Based at the Babraham Research Campus in Cambridge (UK), the successful Candidate will be working within a lab-based team supporting small molecule drug discovery. Working with cheminformaticians, computational chemists, AI modellers and drug discovery colleagues you’ll devise creative ways to reimagine the way medicines are discovered.
- With a strong synthetic and/or medicinal chemistry background you will work as a key contributor within cross functional project teams to identify high quality drug molecules to advance to clinical studies.
- You will work closely with experts across biology, pharmacology & DMPK as well as machine learning, engineering, cheminformatics & bioinformatics technologists.
- A key aspect of the role will be the efficient design and synthesis of novel molecules making use of modern practical methods and AI tools, and the analysis of biological data coming from the testing of these molecules.
- Improve the drug discovery process through proactive and positive problem-solving allowing you to contribute strategically and implement ideas to drive projects forward.
- Your safety is very important to us, so you’ll be expected to follow our safety standards in the laboratory at all times.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD or equivalent experience in synthetic organic chemistry or very closely related area.
- A broad knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry and strong practical laboratory synthesis skills.
- A good awareness of current and emerging state of the art technologies and strategies within synthetic chemistry as applied to drug discovery. Experience of using modern synthesis, purification & analytical equipment.
- You’ll have a strong ability to critically analyse and act upon complex datasets across e.g. synthetic chemistry, biological and DMPK data, AI predictions and many other areas.
Nice to haves
- Examples of using novel data analyses or AI approaches in compound design or progression would be an advantage.
Together, we envision a world in which no disease goes untreated. If you are benevolent, curious, want to tackle real world problems and are willing to embrace new ideas, hit that ‘apply’ button and join us.