BenevolentAI unites technology with human intelligence to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines. We have developed the Benevolent Platform®, a drug discovery platform built on powerful data foundations with state of the art machine learning and AI technology. Our technology empowers scientists to decipher the vast and complex code underlying human biology, find new ways to treat disease and personalise medicines to patients. Benevolent has active in-house R&D drug programmes in disease areas such as neurodegeneration, immunology, oncology and inflammation and has research and commercial collaborations with leading pharmaceutical and research organisations. The company is headquartered in London with a research facility in Cambridge (UK) and a further office in New York.
Who we are
We are an eclectic bunch at Benevolent, united by our belief that innovative thinking and purposeful technology can truly change outcomes for the better. Our mission is to re-engineer drug discovery and deliver life-changing medicines for patients in need and we do this by applying AI, machine learning and other advanced technologies to reinvent the ways drugs are discovered and developed. We strive to bring together unique skills and perspectives across biology, chemistry, engineering, AI research, informatics, precision medicine and drug discovery.
We are looking for a highly experienced CMC project manager / scale-up chemist. As a key part of our Drug Discovery and Development team, you’ll be responsible for the manufacture of non-GMP batches of API / drug substance up to 200g, either through hands-on synthetic work or through working closely with lab-based chemists. You will subsequently manage outsourced multi-kilo GMP campaigns at CMOs, being fully conversant with current regulatory guidance.
This position can be based at either our Cambridge or London office, so the successful Candidate will work within multi-disciplinary pre-clinical and clinical project teams based at either our Laboratory facilities on the Babraham Research Campus in Cambridge (UK) or from our headquarters in London.
- You will be responsible for establishing CMC plans for API / drug substance (GMP and non-GMP) across our portfolio of preclinical and clinical projects.
- Either through practical synthetic chemistry in our laboratories in Cambridge, or through collaboration with internal or external lab-based chemists, you will carry out / support Process Development to devise innovative, safe, efficient and environmentally benign synthetic routes for multigram synthesis (up to 200 g) and for outsourcing to potential CROs (>200g), enabling the rapid initiation of non-GLP toxicity studies in a cost-effective manner.
- You will provide support for chemical Discovery and Development activities through small / intermediate scale synthesis of API, impurities / degradates, metabolites, labelled compounds and reference standards.
- You will oversee characterisation of the API to include solid state profiling, stability testing (solid and liquid) and polymorphism.
- You will collaborate with CROs to ensure that API manufacturing activities are carried out in line with appropriate internal quality systems and regulatory guidelines, and ensure all relevant safety and regulatory standards are defined to allow projects to progress flexibly and efficiently in full compliance.
- You will write Drug Substance regulatory documentation (IND and IMPD) to support clinical trial applications and review the documentation with colleagues, consultants and CROs / CMOs making sure that all drug substance campaign reports to support the application are complete and readily accessible.
- You will also support Drug Product Management in the development, manufacture and supply of the Drug Product to the company.
- With a wide experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary Drug Discovery and Development teams, you will work closely with experts across biology, pharmacology, DMPK, clinical and regulatory functions.
- You will possess a good awareness of current and emerging state of the art technologies and strategies within synthetic and process chemistry.
- Direct supervision of others will form part of the role.
- Reporting to the Director of Chemical Sciences, you will establish and maintain close working relationships with Senior Management for project planning, alignment and delivery.
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD or equivalent experience in synthetic organic chemistry or very closely related area
- 10+ years experience in an industrial setting in either Drug Discovery or Process Development, ideally with working experience in a GMP environment. You will be an “in-house expert” on all aspects of delivering non-GMP and GMP API / drug substance.
- A track record of significant, innovative personal contributions to the transition of Drug Discovery programmes through preclinical Development into clinical trials.
- Previous line management experience and the ability to motivate and develop team members required.
- Experience of working with Contract Research providers: CRO selection, design & agreement of proposals and analysis of data packages.
- Experience of successfully working in multi-disciplinary Drug Discovery & Development teams, with excellent communication skills and the ability to forge productive relationships and collaborations both internally and externally.
Together, we envision a world in which no disease goes untreated. If you are benevolent, curious, want to tackle real world problems and are willing to embrace new ideas, hit that ‘apply’ button and join us.