Who we are:
Visual Meaning is a creative, dynamic place to work, dedicated to creating shared meaning – most often to enable business change and whole-system transformation. We are an eclectic and friendly team of visually trained business analysts, consultants, and developers working together to represent systems in a way that everyone can understand. The system models we create are hosted on our own Shared Meaning Platform for our users to access and interact with and allow people from diverse backgrounds to have meaningful conversations and collaborate effectively about systems whose complexity may otherwise lead to misunderstanding and conflict. See here our recent work mapping the economic system for a client’s forum: https://eom.ecosystem.guide/maps/economic-system/
We're looking for someone to work in our production process, along-side our analysts and consultants, to create our visual representations, taking responsibility for the compositional aspects of our models, and applying our own methodology, to ensure that the representation is as visually meaningful as it can be. There are likely to be new skills that you will require during your career at the company, particularly in the areas of systems analysis and visual language, and we will give you training and support to develop these. Some of the theory behind what we do is shared at http://meaning.guide/ but there’s lots more to what we do than that.
What we’re looking for:
- Traditional artistic ability: draughtsmanship skills honed through observational drawing, an eye for composition and strong graphic design skills.
- Curiosity, openness and self awareness. The ability to collaboratively explore content without imposing your own mental model on it. Willingness to rapidly iterate versions of the work.
- Ready to share and take on new ideas and concepts, as well as new techniques, with a strong desire to develop and take on feedback. Comfortable with ambiguity and the unknown.
- Willingness to be guided by the VM methodology.
- Excellent analytical skills and an ability to hold and make sense of complexity.
- An interest in learning and applying theories of making meaning, for instance Gestalt Psychology, Cognitive Linguistics, Semiotics, Cognitive Load Theory etc.
- Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator would be advantageous but can be learned.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collaborating with consultants and analysts to understand and structure client content.
- Shaping the composition of our visual representations of that content, creating them using the Visual Meaning library of images (“assets”) and iterating, predominantly in Adobe Illustrator, though traditional media may sometimes be used.
- Commissioning and quality checking new assets produced by illustrators.
- Learning about the Visual Meaning methodology, applying it to clients’ content when creating visual representations and helping to shape and develop that methodology.
- Giving and receiving crits with the team on the meaningfulness of our output.
- Working with the team to continuously develop and improve our production process, client offerings and culture as we grow and evolve together.
To apply for this role, please send a CV along with a covering email explaining why you think you’d be a good fit. Please also attach some examples of your work or portfolio.