About the company
Welcome! We’re a machine learning company with a mission to open source the law.
Genie AI uses technology to make legal services accessible to all companies. We’ve built Genie Docs, an AI and NLP driven platform that enables the creation of legal documents using the collective intelligence of thousands of past clauses. Changing the business of law from billable hours to self-serve documents, we save our users hours of time and thousands of pounds in fees.
Check out our TechCrunch article from last year! We’re already garnering plaudits, and have been listed by Forbes as one of the top 29 UK AI startups.
Genie AI is backed by world leading experts such as Lord Neuberger (former President of the Supreme Court), Adam Ziegler (the Head of Harvard Law School's Library Innovation Lab), Charlie Songhurst (former Head of Strategy at Microsoft), Khosla Ventures (founded by Vinod Khosla, co-founder of Sun Microsystems, the inventors of Java) and other investors with serious pedigree. We're poised for rapid expansion, and we want you to be our next Genie. Come and shake up the £100bn global industry with us!
About the role
This is a unique opportunity to be the first lawyer in our legal team. That’s right - we are becoming a tech-enabled law firm, structured as a legal ABS. If you have ever been frustrated with slow processes, lost in documents, redlines and finding clauses, or felt that your incentives are misaligned with your client’s - now is your opportunity to change the way we deliver law.
- You will work with our CTO, Head of Product, UX/UI Designer and CEO to create intelligent contracts that can be self-served to tech startup businesses. By programming lawyer and AI intelligence into the document, the idea is we can save costs and align incentives to create quality legal documents.
- You will be responsible for creating a variety of templates that will be sold on the Genie platform for your area of expertise. Ideally this will be broad ranging, though centered around IP and commercial contracts.
- You will work with our machine learning team to help them understand legal needs, create legal taxonomies and label contract data, in doing so developing world-leading state of the art machine learning models.
- You will create thought leadership articles and become a change-maker for the industry. This is your opportunity to make a difference!
- You will either be a knowledge management/PSL lawyer, a private practice lawyer from a top tier law firm or an in-house lawyer / General Counsel at a well-reputed company with experience in commercial contracts and IP.
- Experience working in/with startups and technology is a bonus but not required.
- You will be a commercially minded, risk-taking lawyer.
- You are prepared to create a variety of legal documents and use PLC and other resources to create content outside your area of specialism.
- You have a growth mindset and are always trying to better your craft.
- You’ve always believed the industry needs changing, and are prepared to do something about it!
- You’re open to working in a high growth startup where the environment is always evolving.
- You embrace technology and would be keen to learn more about AI / machine learning (no programming required).
About the team
Genie AI was created at Entrepreneur First in November 2017. We're now a team of 17 incredibly talented and fun Genies from 7 countries split across Business and Technology. We’re currently working as a fully remote community, and will be working from the office 2 days a week after lockdown. Our office is based in Shoreditch, London, with lots of great places to eat and drink nearby.
What do Genies get?
- Substantial equipment budget for you to set up working environment, including a top of the range laptop.
- Unlimited holiday.
- Fully flexible working.
- Generous share options - we want everyone to share our success!
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Regular meditation and wellbeing sessions.
- Optional payroll/pre-tax charity giving.
- Unlimited budget for business, law or technology books.
- Regular team lunches and dinners after lockdown (and plenty of social activity in the meantime!).
- The opportunity to join a bright, fast growing startup at grassroots level and genuinely make a difference.
At Genie, we’re passionate about what we do, and we're committed to creating a diverse environment. Whilst we’re on the cutting edge of innovation, it’s all about the people. We embrace differences and hire based on merit, giving equal consideration to all applications, regardless of gender, background or race.