“The biggest economic problems facing the UK are, we save too little, we haven't worked out how to save for retirement, the pension system is facing I think a real challenge..” Mervyn King (former BoE Governor)
“The number one problem in today’s generation and the economy is the lack of financial literacy”. Alan Greenspan (former chair of Federal Reserve, USA)
Did you know 11.5 million Britons have less than £100 in savings, and nearly nine million of us are in serious debt, with only around a third receiving help?
Did you know that most people would like to save more into their pensions but aren’t sure of how much they should save or even how to go about increasing their savings?
Did you know that saving £200 a month from the age of 30 to age 65 might give you a pension pot of £215K, but delaying saving to when you are 35 means that your pension pot at 65 might be worth only £157K…..that’s a 25% reduction just because you skipped saving for 5 years!
Maji is an impact driven fintech and our mission is to coach people to make good decisions about their money, starting with their workplace pension.
We launched V1 of Maji in June 2020 and have been busy iterating on the feedback of our first clients. We are now looking for an experienced product designer who can join our small team, work collaboratively to build the next phase of the product and help us achieve product-market fit.
You will have the opportunity to take ownership, shape the product roadmap and leave a lasting impact on the financial wellbeing of the UK and even the world!
It’s a super exciting time to join Maji. Though we have built an impressive product already (2 web portals and iOS/Android apps), we are quite early in our journey and need someone who is proactive and can contribute to shaping the proposition across the entire company.
Your primary responsibility is beautifully captured in this snapshot, courtesy of Vadim Grin’s “Product Designer vs Product Manager: what’s the difference anyway?”
In short, you will have primary responsibility for ensuring that Maji’s product engages users and delivers on its value proposition. You’ll do this through deeply understanding the needs and problems of our users and designing a product with an amazing UX and UI that leverages human behaviour to drive engagement.
This will include:
- Becoming an expert on Maji’s users, market and competitors / similar products
- Collecting, analysing and responding to user feedback
- Wireframing new ideas and workflows and seeking feedback from our community
- Creating high fidelity designs for the development team to execute on
- Applying a consistent visual language across Maji’s product and resources
We are a small team (just 3 people in the UK) along with an offshore development team in India, so you can expect to be involved in most things that happen in the business but you are more likely to be involved in:
Product strategy and roadmap
- Contributing to product strategy and vision, developing product roadmap with co-founders
Collaboration across the Maji team
- Supporting marketing campaigns with user insights
- Creating or contributing to sales and marketing teams collateral / GTM Strategy support
- Working closely with core team members and responding to business needs as they arise
Skills & Competencies
- 3+ years of experience in product design in a startup environment
- Experience conducting user research and creating personas (interviews, workshops, etc)
- Expert in Adobe Suite/Sketch/Invision/Figma or similar (We use Adobe XD)
- Proactive, team player, willing to learn and wanting to make a positive difference to the world
- Experience of building engaging onboarding and ongoing engagement experiences
Salary and benefits
- Upto £60K per annum
- Ideally London or Birmingham based (we are currently all working from home and will review this arrangement in second half of 2021)
- Salary exchange pension plan
- 20 days holiday (excluding bank holidays)
- EMI share option scheme (0.1 - 0.5%)
What it's like to work for Maji
“Working for Maji is a brilliant experience. I’ve had plenty of autonomy and the chance to choose and control my own projects. We have an open culture with feedback gladly given and received by everyone. With our team still small, we all have the chance to contribute to the development of Maji, and I’ve been able to get involved in lots of different areas of the business. We also value continuous development, and I’ve learned so much from Megan and Sahil, as well as from our various accelerator programmes, mentors and collaborators. It’s a varied, exciting and enriching working environment, with the chance to make a real difference to people’s lives.” Catherine Miller, Business Development Director
We will be conducting an initial video interview with all appropriate candidates. Successful candidates will be asked to participate in a short assessment task and then to a second interview. Candidates may be hired before the deadline on this job add, so please submit your application as soon as possible.