We're a retail technology company getting people back into high street shops. Our platform drives in-store footfall by connecting the products currently hidden on shop shelves to the millions of local shoppers searching for them nearby. Companies like Google and Facebook use our technology to show live in-store inventory on their platforms to millions of shoppers searching nearby.
We believe the future of the high street is one where every product in every shop is connected directly to the web, making it genuinely faster and easier to get something from a real shop nearby than ordering it for delivery online. The high street has incredible value that’s currently hidden from the internet on the shelves of local shops, and we see it as our job to unlock it.
You can hear our CEO talk about why we’re so excited about the future of the high street, and our plans for making NearSt a central part of it, in our Next Web Keynote
We’ve worked well so far without a formal product management role by collaborating closely, focusing on filtering and prioritising potential work. We have developed a shared roadmap, keep participation in Feature Suggestions and Project Management consistent and try hard to question and verify the work that gets carried into sprints. But we want to do better and that is where this new role comes in.
We are really looking for a very rare person, someone who possesses a wide range of product centric skills - feature definition, prototyping, strategic product vision, hypothesis formulation and testing, design chops - and who can take ownership of product as a function at NearSt.
You’ll understand the competitive landscape, understanding what makes NearSt stand out. Your responsibilities will include definition and refinement of product delivery processes, collaborating around delivery roadmaps and providing visibility of product progress alongside work to ensure a clear and executable backlog of work is in place and stakeholder needs are correctly represented and prioritised.
The role is the first product specific one at NearSt reporting to one of the founders.
QUALITIES OF THE PRODUCT MANAGER
- Thrives on working with cross functional, agile product teams to deliver outstanding products and continually improve standards.
- Values working in a diverse, and open team environment - and actively works to promote this.
- Actively seeks to be the voice of the customer and champions their cause
- Views product architecture and design as a shared responsibility and works across teams to deliver a consistent vision.
- Speaks up with candour and clarity representing product needs
- Uses a data-driven approach to decision making and problem-solving.
- Exemplifies a design centric approach
- Has a good feel for User Experience, without necessarily being a UX Architect by training
OUR PRODUCT MANAGER’s RESPONSIBILITIES
- Defines and refines strategic product direction
- Works closely with the founders to ensure product direction is aligned to the company vision.
- Drives the delivery process with clarity on requirements and clear acceptance criteria.
- Provides wireframes and prototypes into the development pipeline to guide engineering.
- Manages the product backlog, ensuring correct prioritisation.
- Works to adapt agile methods to suit the direction of work
- Creates a clarity of vision around delivery needs, and stands alongside the engineering team in working to commitments
- Monitors key metrics
- Works with the NearSt project manager to coordinate cross functional dependencies
- Own the creative process of generating, developing, and curating new ideas.
SOME THINGS THEY ARE REALLY GOOD AT
- Collaborating around stakeholder needs in a manner that allows solution options to be developed. Gets to the heart of the opportunity quickly and communicates the need to the delivery team
- Understanding needs and motivators of our customers and articulating those to drive delivery focus
- Strong communication and collaboration in providing product direction
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving aptitude
- Forming meaningful hypotheses and defining how to test them
- Leadership in a growing company situation
SOME OF THE PRACTICAL THINGS THEY DO
- Ensures the Jira backlog is well managed
- Develops wireframes to test out ideas and creates UI designs
- Maintains contact with the customer community
- Collaborates with the wider set of business stakeholders to enable fantastic, industry defining work
- Helps to maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact product features and shipping things quickly.
- Reports to Head of Strategy & Product and works closely with the leadership team to develop our product strategy in line with business objectives
WHAT IT'S LIKE WORKING AT NEARST
We're a fast-growing tight-knit team of almost 20 people who all share a common vision that what we’re building will define the future of how everyone shops. Startup life is a lot of work and a ton of fun, so we’ve focussed hard on putting a great framework in place that lets people do their best work.
10 reasons we think you’ll love it here:
- ETHOS - We believe team health and culture are at the centre of a successful business and care passionately about fostering this at NearSt
- ENVIRONMENT - We work as a semi-remote team, where our Hoxton Square office is a hub for collaboration and team-oriented work and home is a place for deep focussed work
- TECH - Whether you’re working at home or HQ, you’ll benefit from the latest Macs and CRM software so you can focus on doing your best work
- COLLABORATION - Benefit from the latest software that helps you spend more time doing great work with your team-mates and less time updating unwieldy old spreadsheets
- MINDSET - We cultivate an entrepreneurial can-do mindset; brilliant ideas can and must come from everywhere in the business
- OWNERSHIP - Receive stock options in the business, so you own a stake in your own success
- WELLNESS - Stay at your best with a flexible monthly wellness budget to spend as you please on things to keep you happy, healthy and well
- MENTAL HEALTH - Professional and confidential support from Spill to help keep your mental health just as well as your physical health
- GROW - Develop personally and professionally with an annual budget for you to upskill in ways that suit your own learning style
- PURPOSE - Work among a team who genuinely want to make a massive positive difference in the world
We think a great workplace is filled with all the diversity the world has to offer. This means we make no judgment about the things that make you, you - whether that be gender, religion, sexuality, race, or a secret love for 80s action films. If you’re excited by our mission, we’re excited to meet you!