At Konpanion we believe in the seamless integration of robotics into society, by placing a strong emphasis on aesthetics, design, and human-led technology. Our focus currently centres around our flagship product Maah, a companion robot crafted in Edinburgh.
Designed to provide comfort and companionship to all, Maah focuses on improving well-being, supporting mental health, and delivering meaningful data to users.
Tailored for various age groups, including children, younger adults, and the elderly, Maah mimics a lifelike pet with a safety-first approach, utilising advanced sensors and AI integration for well-being monitoring. Konpanion aims to expand both its research and commercial ventures, we are looking for passionate individuals to contribute to this unique intersection of design, deep technology, and lifestyle. We advocate for alternative narratives in robotics, fostering a softer approach. Join us in shaping this vision!
We are looking for a junior robotic engineer/ researcher who can actively implement and refine robotics solutions for our robot konpanion Maah. This includes hands-on involvement in prototyping, testing, and collaborating with the team to address specific engineering challenges. The candidate will play an important role in the development of Maah and be part of a truly multidisciplinary team.
Key Duties and responsibilities:
As a core part of the project team, you will work under the direction of the Principal Investigator to achieve the goals of the project.
- Taking responsibility for relevant areas of the planned research and practical work
- Planning and carrying out a work programme appropriate to the work package
- Contributing to the dissemination and publication of research findings as appropriate
- Communicating effectively with other members of the project team
- An undergraduate degree (BSc/BEng or equivalent) in a relevant subject (e.g. Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, or Human-Robot Interaction).
- Proficient in relevant languages for at least one UI paradigm (e.g. HTML/CSS/JS for web-based, Swift/Objective-C for iOS, Java/Kotlin for Android).
- We are flexible on the technology stack Candidates with some ROS experience (Python) are preferred.
Nice to have:
- A strong interest in robotics from a systems perspective
- Experience and motivation in working in start-ups
- Drives innovation and action
- Creates and contributes to a shared vision
- Willingness to develop new skills and work collaboratively
- Comfortable in a fast paced environment