Join us as Backend Developer and see your work really come to life as you build software for a leading fintech business driving innovation in its field.
You will be instrumental in uplifting thousands of people as the systems you create facilitate life changing real world opportunities.
You will participate in all areas of engineering and development, writing high-quality code and collaborating with the wider team to ensure our digital systems provide an exceptional experience for our customers.
Your technical insights and contributions will be highly valued and will influence key business decisions. This role provides the perfect blend of technical challenges and opportunities to make a meaningful impact.
About MyPocketSkill and our mission
MyPocketSkill empowers Gen Z's to become more financially capable by matching 13-24 year olds with pocket money earning tasks and enabling them to save towards their goals. We help teens to Earn, Save and Learn about money.
We are scaling our digital platform and to aid our next phase of product development and growth, we are looking to bring an additional developer to grow our engineering function and deliver on an ambitious tech road map.
We are ambitious and hard working. We have a supportive, growth focussed working culture and will invest in education and experimentation to push the boundaries of your abilities. We champion diverse skill sets, perspectives and discussion; everyone is encouraged to be themselves and input into the organisation and work at all levels. We care deeply about our work having a positive impact on our customers, colleagues, communities and the environment. We promote creativity and adventure in everything we do. You can read more about our culture and values here.
- Salary: £35,000 to £40,000 per year depending on experience
- Social: Monthly adventures/parties with your team
- Annual Leave: 28 days (including public holidays)
- Location: Hybrid (Min 2 days per week in London Office)
- Hours: 40hrs per week (Normally 10:00-18:00 GMT/BST)
- Start Date: March 2024
- Application Deadline: Assessing candidates on an ongoing basis, apply as soon as possible
Develop scalable, stable and efficient digital systems that enhance our marketplace. Write high-quality code for tech products that improve customer experience, reduce customer service issues and reduce costs. Be detail-conscious yet deadline-oriented, able to support technical decision-making to keep progress on track.
You’ll be working on a project where everything is hosted in AWS and we have a lightweight automated deployment process. You’ll work alongside a very small team, meaning you’ll have loads of responsibility and will make a huge impact on our architecture processes.
The work will be challenging, but fun; you’ll work at the cutting edge of fintech/edtech systems and learn a huge amount.
As a company we focus on objectives and results, with individuals driving the decisions on the best ways to achieve them. We have included this list of responsibilities to give you an idea of the starting point for this position; the exact responsibilities will develop under team leadership.
- Coding & Testing: Write high-quality, performant, well organised, maintainable code with a focus on QA and testing, as well as code review of others work. Share and adapt reusable patterns and components when possible.
- Backend Development: Confident development and engineering of scalable, cloud-based software solutions accessible via web and mobile apps.
- Scalability and Connectivity: Help build systems designed to handle sudden peaks in concurrent users trying to read and write data simultaneously; and to accommodate for poor network connectivity.
- Cloud Technologies: Assist in working with cloud-based technologies and design techniques such as microservices, serverless technologies (API Gateway, Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB), and messaging queues (SNS/SQS).
- Code Management & DevOps: Support the establishment and maintenance of best practices for code development, version control, and deployment, contributing to CI/CD pipelines and other DevOps processes.
- Product Quality: Contribute to ensuring the overall quality, accessibility, stability, and security of digital systems and products, in alignment with both functional and non-functional requirements.
- Communication & Collaboration: Maintain transparent communication about project and task statuses, milestones, and potential risks, collaborating effectively with other developers and departments.
- Performance Tracking: Assist in the implementation and management of performance monitoring and issue alerting systems to help optimise user experience.
- Depth of Knowledge: Computer Science/Related Degree as well as 3+ years of full stack development experience.
- Technical Contributions: Experience in contributing to system design and assisting in technical decisions on medium-to-large scale projects or complex features.
- Scalability Skills: Experience in participating in the design and development of scalable software products.
- Databases: Experience with SQL databases, with the ability to contribute to database design and optimisation.
- Time Management: Ability to work within project timelines, proactively communicate any delays and contribute to task re-prioritisation to keep things on track
- Digital Development: Experience in developing websites, web applications and ideally mobile apps, with a focus on user-centric design.
- DevOps & QA Awareness: Familiarity with DevOps practices, CI/CD pipelines, and QA processes.
Also nice to have:
- Front End Skills: Proficient with front-end frameworks, notably Vue and/or ReactJS.
- Data and UX: Working understanding of data capture and performance tracking, a willingness to contribute to design and UX decisions.
We are looking for team members that are interested in a long-term career with MyPocketSkill, and want to learn and grow with us. If you think you could achieve the objectives set out in this role and would enjoy the work we do we encourage you to apply regardless of your background. We treat all employees and applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, marital status, race, nationality, religion, age or disability status. We will request references from your past employers to support anything you tell us in this application or any interviews before offering you a position. We will require evidence of your right to work in the UK before conducting interviews.
We only accept applications via the form on this page, please do not send applications by post or email as they will not be considered.